1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 150mm macro in actual use?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by enikkor, Aug 7, 2009.

1. enikkor

enikkor

Aug 6, 2009
    Midwest USA
    I've read a lot of good things about the Sigma 150mm macro.

Due to it's relatively heavy weight, is this a pure tripod only lens?

Can somebody use a monopod as the main support while shooting?

Experience from owners will be appreciated.

Enikkor

2. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm a rookie at this but I use it hand held all the time for bugs....Flowers is usually a tripod.
    This is hand held
    dfly2008-08-16_14-16-17.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. If this lens is heavy, then I must be Superman.:smile: Really, it's not heavy at all.

This was handheld,
    3387523117_58a9e78b96_b.jpg

4. This is not that heavy a lens, though some support (mono or tripod) works best when really close in. I am not the steadiest shooter though! I typically use it with support... Great lens!

5. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The Sigma 150 can be used pretty well hand held. I often use it at its closest focus but usually have my elbows braced against my knees or the ground.

~Chad

7. I use mine hand held 95% of the time when shooting macro and candids

3570807638_1fcab853d7_b.jpg

3784514935_17770ddf97_b.jpg

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I only use it hand held. I usually use flash.
    When photographing insects, patricularly if they are active or in flight, a tripod is too slow.

The very fast focus speed of this lens is a crucial feature.

9. i took the collar off day 1, never used it on a tripod....
    this is a very very special lens and imo the best glass sigma has made and rivals anybodys macro lens at any price

these are handheld ambient light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. garyosborne

garyosborne Guest

With 68mm kenko tubes, handheld with the help of the same fence the bug is on. not cropped

[​IMG]

11. I agree Randy - but when are you going to take some decent shots with yours :eek: :biggrin:

Seriously - I am always in awe of the work you post here and thank you for taking the time to do so.

12. thanks John, I appreciate that

13. Randy.. are those shots with or without tubes? Very nice indeed for handheld.

You must be using that tripod death grip camera hold. :biggrin:

Don

14. thx don
    no on the tubes
    I had a set of kenkos and never liked them so they got sold
    AF was a PIA and I rarely use MF and the tubes were wobbly...

IMO the key to success on handholding macros is to stop the lens down AND push the ss to way past what the focal length would normally require to compensate for your movement and a sudden flier bug....which means you need alot of light and/or alot of ISO. The D3 is the perfect body but i think the D700 would be even better:smile:
    I shoot in MP, f9 or more, 1/400 or more and turn auto iso on....i also push hard on ev, +.3 min to get more esposure on the bug. I usually shoot CW or spot metering for bugs

15. I think you can see from the posts that handholding for macro is not for everyone. Few in fact. If you throw the thing on machine gun mode you increase your odds. When I go out with the 150 I am going on a mission for macros and take every advantage I can get. For that I mean a tripod and release if possible.
    If you want to handhold macros you may be better off with a 90 or so.

16. In looking at the examples here I came up with the same conclusion as Glenn - some can and some can't. I can't so even the 105 (non-VR) micro goes on a tripod.

Larry

17. Messiah Khan

Messiah Khan Guest

I use mine handheld with natural light almost all of the time;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a great lens. Super sharp and nice to use.

:smile:

18. awesome work !

and i disagree on handholding
    everyone can with practice and you will not get the opps we get from a tripod

19. You gotta try something to know if it works for you. Shoot with a tripod, shoot hand-held, see what you like better. Hand-holding gives you spontaneity and mobility; tripods give you stability and allow you to take your time to compose. Very different feel. I find that it's similar to playing different guitars. I play different styles with different instruments...not better or worse...just different. I prefer a tripod, but I shoot hand-held at times as well. Randy is absolutely right; you must practice to get good at that (not that tripod work doesn't take practice). It's all about what you enjoy and what yields the results you're after. Nobody can tell you what "the best way" is; they can only tell you what they like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.