Sigma 150mm Macro?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fuss, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Hi, I am seriously considering one of these as my first real macro lens. Being 150mm does it have any benefits other than distance form subject ie: bugs?
    it seems the 105mm range is the most popular. Any other thoughts on the sigma macros in general?

Thx

2. cybertec

cybertec Guest

Why don't you check out my post of "A couple of Macros of my Hermit Crab", it's on the second page "all taken with the 150mm Sigma", the 150 Sigma Macro HSM APO is a fantastic piece of glass.

3. very nice, do you find the lens useful for portraits as well? and would you recommend this over the 105mm version?

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Its fantastically sharp. I use it when I go to the botanical gardens to shoto the flowers and then shoot the butterflies up above in the high bushes. I use it at weddings too as a long fast tele.

123480138-L.

123479984-L.

[​IMG]

94434013-L.

[​IMG]

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

My recent macro of choice has been the fine 105mm Nikon VR. I think it will win out over the Sigma 150mm. The VR is so nice to use, and it really makes a difference. I have also used the Nikon 60mm 2.8, the Sigma 105mm 2.8 and the Sigma 70mm 2.8. All of them having their strong points...but none have VR...the 105 VR is my current favorite lens.

105MM vr, d200
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  6. Amazing shots Joshua, are there any cons to this lens I should consider? like is it cumbersome or have any limitations? unfortunately I can not try one before I buy.

Thx much
    fuss

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Its very nice actually, and the HSM makes it easy to override focus and fine tune it. I have been very happy with mine, I bought it used here on the Cafe last year. It is very sharp wide open and only gets sharper as you stop it down. Next to the Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro, its one of the sharpest lenses I've ever owned.

I got some of my best shots with this lens combining it with a tripod. In bright sunny conditions, its easy to get a SS 1/focal length, btu I found I sometimes needed 1/250 to keep it critically sharp. I often took the tripod with me because in order to get increased DOF on a close up shot, you have to stop down considerably.

As I mentioned before, I switched to the 105mm VR to avoid having to rely on a tripod all the time. For the money, the Sigma is a great lens. If you plan on shooting insects and critters, the workign distance will be helpful, I'm sure.

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Josh, your shots blow me away. Tack sharp and wonderful IQ.

9. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Josh - I didn't love my old Nikkor AF 105/2.8 macro, I do love my 70-180 macro, but you're making me waver. Those 105vr shots are awesome.

DAB

10. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, Frank. It's hard to pick a favorite lens between the two...

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

DAB, I originally started with the AF-D 105mm Nikkor...but wasn't happy that I couldnt handhold it for some shots...so I sold it in favor of the 60mm Micro. I sold the 60mm to get the 150mm Sigma...

When I first got the 105mm AF-D, the VR version didnt exist. I am very pleased with the new version...in short, it just rocks!

12. cybertec

cybertec Guest

the Nikon 105 VR is a fine lens, but if you want to shoot insects and have an all around Macro lens, plus a nice telephoto to boot, and it is also great for portrait shots, the 150 Sigma is hard to beat for price performance, I love mine and would not think of getting rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007