Sigma 150mm Macro?

Welcome to the Cafe Fuss! Trust me this is a great lens and I highly suggest you purchase one. The DG is the newest version and make sure you purchase your lens form a Sigma authorized dealer if you want full Sigma factory warranty! I almost purchased my lens from Sigma 4 Less.com which is NOT an authorized dealer!

Anthony

Below are some sample shots with my Sigma 150mm

butterfly06.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

daisy1.jpg

whisky2.jpg

Welcome to the Cafe Fuss! Trust me this is a great lens and I highly suggest you purchase one. The DG is the newest version and make sure you purchase your lens form a Sigma authorized dealer if you want full Sigma factory warranty! I almost purchased my lens from Sigma 4 Less.com which is NOT an authorized dealer!

Anthony

I was under the impression that Sigma was more lenient with warranties than Nikon. I thought Sigma USA would honor the international warranty (i.e., the one that comes with a gray market lens) for a one year period. I thought the benefit of buying a USA lens was the extended warranty beyond the one year. Does anyone have definitive info?

I have it, love. Very sharp, build quality is nice and solid, and it gives me working distance for live critters, especially once I add a TC to it... check these out:

The lack of sharpness was my fault on this one, a bit of a focus error :smile:
278754987_de15f250f7.png

But these are nice:
View attachment 88727

View attachment 88728

I had the 150mm and it was a great lens but was a little to long for me so I sold it and got the tamron 90mm..which I LOVE!..had the 105mm sigma too but prefer the tamron to that lens.

I was under the impression that Sigma was more lenient with warranties than Nikon. I thought Sigma USA would honor the international warranty (i.e., the one that comes with a gray market lens) for a one year period. I thought the benefit of buying a USA lens was the extended warranty beyond the one year. Does anyone have definitive info?
You're correct. Just because Nikon has a truly pathetic policy towards gray-market items doesn't mean everybody else does. The lenses from Sigma4less are gray market (international), but they are still perfectly legitimate. They just don't carry the full US warranty. They do however have a 1-year international warranty.

Very nice shots Jeffrey, but I think I missed my opportunity on the 150 for now. The one I was considering was sold, so I may have to wait for another reasonably priced used one or go for the 105 or Tamron 90.

i'm trying to decide between this and the 105vr.
i'm trying not to get hung up on the ''Nikon'' , but i've seen some awesome images from both......just too tough of a decision.

i'm trying not to get hung up on the ''Nikon'' , but

As you can see from my sig I'm a big Nikon lens fan, but think my Sigma 150 can run with the best of them - one of only two non-Nikon lenses I own. A great value in my opinion, but I bought it because I thought it would be as sharp as the very best Nikon macro lenses at f2.8 with a longer working length - I haven't been disappointed.

A shot I've posted in the past (my lib's not available right now to post a new one)...
PAS5783_071506.jpg

yeah, that's pretty incredible.

do you feel that with the 150 focal length on the sigma.....for macro anyway.....it's only as good as the tripod it's on???

i've heard that longer macro lenses.....105, 150, 200, etc.....are great.....if you can keep them perfectly still. trying to do a handheld at that distance and keep it 1:1 is VERY difficult.

would you agree with this??.......what is your tripod set up??.....ever handhold the 150 for macro???......good results??????....advice on lenses??

thanks

matt

ps. there are a lot of questions for you to answer there.

yeah, that's pretty incredible.

do you feel that with the 150 focal length on the sigma.....for macro anyway.....it's only as good as the tripod it's on???

i've heard that longer macro lenses.....105, 150, 200, etc.....are great.....if you can keep them perfectly still. trying to do a handheld at that distance and keep it 1:1 is VERY difficult.

would you agree with this??.......what is your tripod set up??.....ever handhold the 150 for macro???......good results??????....advice on lenses??

thanks

matt

ps. there are a lot of questions for you to answer there.
When shooting macros, I don't think focal length matters so much as reproduction ratio when it comes to things like camera shake, DOF, etc. In other words, shooting handheld at 1:1 can be difficult no matter what focal length you're using.

C

cybertec

here is one of mine with my Sigma 150/2.8 and D200, this is a very sharp piece of glass, and can be used as a short telephoto to boot,
136803290-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom