Sigma 17-70 + 70-200 a good combo?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wv1973, May 21, 2007.

1. wv1973

Apr 14, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec

Well I have been waiting a long time to get the right lens for the jobs I do. I am inching closer and closer toward making photography a bigger part of my monthly income but am wishing to get some pro quality glass.

Recently I took the communities suggestion and tried a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Aside from the weight it was a nice lens and gave pretty good results. I'm also looking at getting a every day lens and have been considering the Sigma 17-70 macro. Now before I continue any further let me describe mainly what I shoot.

Nature landscapes, sports photography (Swimming & Hockey) and studio portraits from time to time.

I'm going to have to wait a little while before purchasing hte 70-200 but for a immediate everyday lens that gives me fast focusing, and very sharp do you feel this is the best choice for under 500.00 or have I overlooked another option.

2. fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Just noticed this thread.

I bought a Sigma 17-70 but replaced it shortly with a Tamron 15-50 2.8. The pictures with the Sigma were a little warm/yellow for my taste and the whole time I was wishing I had a constant f2.8. I'm still wating for the tamron to arrive so I can't comment from personal use. My sis-in-law has that lens and I do like the pictures she takes.
  3. weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The Tamron 17-50mm is a great lens, I've never used the Sigma though but I hear it's not that sharp. The Sigma also isn't f/2.8 constantly, unlike the Tamron, which you can definatly get for under $500.
  4. adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    Why not the Nikon 18-70mm? It has the focal range you're looking for and it is an excellent performer in the same price range as the Sigma.