sigma 18-200 OS reviewed

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pushpin, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I believe that Sigma will sell lots of it to Canon owners because the lens is so convenient as an all-in-one item. Actually, one of the things that Canon guys used to envy from Nikon people was that such a lens has never been made by Canon. Now they have a good option.
    After all, and based in review, here's my opinion on the possible challenge Sigma/nikon:
    Nikon claims 4 stops against only 3 from Sigma; The Sigma doesn't seem to have nothing like the ED glass from Nikon; Nikon offers the active mode on their VR system.
    On the other hand, Sigma is less expensive, seems to have better materials, and has got a switch to stop the lense from creeping. Also, at least in the Canon, it seems to have less distortions around 18/20mm.
    Let's wait to see what Nikon owners will tell us from their experiences.
    Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

2. My opinion is that 4 stops is a bit optimistic on the Nikon implementation.

3. It would appear that the switch only works at 18mm. If I pull my Nikon back to 18mm it doesn't creep and I've heard the same from other users of the Nikon version of this lens.

I'll certainly be interested in seeing some "real use" examples from the Sigma. It looks like it will be selling for about CAD$150 less than the Nikon from Henry's. At that price point, I have to wonder if people will be willing to just spend the little bit extra and go straight to the Nikon.

4. Sigma's version of ED is called SLD and I'm sure there is at least one SLD element and a couple of aspherical elements in this lens too.

5. Yep, one SLD and three aspherics. It's not exactly a simple optical formula.

6. I'm surprised there's no HSM. For the price difference, especially as the street price of the Nikon 18-200VR gets lower as supply has improved, I'm not sure if the savings are going to be a big enticement for Nikon shooters. For Canon users, there's a bigger draw because there's Canon doesn't make a directly comparable lens.

7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I don't think Sigma have found a way to get OS and HSM in the same lens, like the 80-400OS which has a built in AF motor that isn't HSM.

Hopefully the price of this lens will fall a bit once its out for a while.

8. Nikon Mount Reviewed by Pop Photo

The October 2007 print issue of Popular Photography has a review of the lens, now also available with the Nikon mount. However, it was tested on the Rebel XT. Now that I've read the article, I would be very tempted to get the Sigma OS instead of the Nikon VR, not just because it costs about $200 less but also because it might be as good or better. (But I'm still researching my first DSLR purchase, so what the heck do I know?)

The article is not yet available online, so I'll provide a few highlights while trying to avoid massive copyright issues:

Zoom Lock: Zoom ring is stiff enough that the lock isn't needed.

Auto Focus: Moderately fast, somewhat noisy

Sharpness and Contrast: "Excellent" at the four tested lengths, better than most of the 18-200 competition, which is only "Good" or "Very Good" at the long end.

Distortion: Much better than Sigma's non-OS version.

Vignetting: Very little

9. seems to be a good performer. i wonder how much cheaper it is than nikons version

10. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    In the UK, it can be bought for around £320, while the Nikon 18-200 is still over £500 even second hand.

11. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :confused:Sorry but are you sure?..warehouse have it for £479 new and have seen second hand ones a lot cheaper