Sigma 18-200 OS

Not yet. But the price is relatively expensive for a thirty party lens, not to say it's slower than the Nikon counterpart. As Nikon 18-200VR is finally (and slowly) filling up the backorders, I would definitely pick the Nikon over Sigma. (I have a Nikon 18-200VR)

This is a significant price reduction over the Nikon. So a slight performance hit could be ignored for several hundred dollars less money. Especailly considering this would be a walkaround general purpose lens for when I don't want to bring primes or big lenses with me.

I would take the Nikon over the Sigma in a heartbeat, but not if they were similar in performance.

The samples I've found around the web so far have been pretty decent looking. I've yet to find a nikon to sigma comparison though.

The price difference is not huge. The Nikon can be found at $699 if you are willing to wait for a little while. The $150 price difference definitely justifies the Nikon brand, Nikon build, Nikon quality and resell value in the future.

Just to be the devil's advocate...how can we possibly know if the cost differential is justified without having seen the Sigma lens or images from it? As far a resale value goes...that is the absolute last reason that I can think of to choose an optic. Now that's just my take on it...I know that others reason differently, and while I don't agree...I do respect their views.

The Sigma doesn't have HSM - Nikon has AF-S. That's a huge difference right there. Not to mention the Sigma is 6.3 at tele

The Sigma has in body focusing although its not HSM (its the same type as in the 80-400OS, clearly they still haven't found a way to have HSM and OS in the same lens!)

I expect the price to lower once stock comes rolling in, its a bit out of proportion to other Sigma lenses if it doesn't (the non-OS costing nearly half).

Another interesting lens I saw show up (in press release form atleast) is the Tamron 28-300 VC (Vibration Compensation). I can't even find it on obsure japanese camera dealer sites though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom