Sigma 18-250 OS Macro as a video lens Update

Update:

Here's a test video from my first 2 hours of using the lens:

http://youtu.be/KcVhJSvhL6E

After doing lots of research I've come to the conclusion that VR does indeed help when shooting video when not on a support system. I do most of my stuff on a tripod with fluid head.

I need a lens for my scouting trips that would break the bank but that would produce good to excellent videos. It need to be small and light as I've been using my m43 (which only does 720P) and an old Canon Vixia which produces good but not excellent videos. Color matching has been a problem, so I wanted to use my D7000.

So I decided to try an experiment - would a super zoom work because many of the sins wouldn't be visible in the final video. Well I looked at many reviews and felt that the price/performance ration seemed to be best for the Sigma OS Macro 18-250. Tomorrow I'm going to take a lot of videos, but based on about an hour of testing today, I have to say I'm impressed, even the stills have been good to very good. No I'm not selling my 12-24, 80-200, or 300 AFS, but for my purpose as a video lens for B roll stuff, I'm very impressed. As I get the test stuff done for public viewing I'll post it in this thread.

Color and sharpness ( and I doing testing at best F stops and OS/Non-OS) has really impressed me. For handheld video I have to say that this is amazing equal or better than my monopod. Most of my video stuff off the tripod is for 10 to 30 seconds, and I got usable stuff out of every test today. While my 12-24 is very good its doesn't give me the range I need for my site tests.

It was hot and I was a little tired at the end and it still produced good video. Perhaps this Super Zoom has found itself a long time home as I B roll and site review lens. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom