Sigma 180 Macro vs Nikkor 300 AFS

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Winnie, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Took these tonight in a bit of a battle of the close up options ;0)

Nikkor 300mm f/4 AFS + 56mm Kenko Tubes (bit of a crop too)
    Nikon D200 ,Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED-IF AF-S
    1/10s f/11.0 at 300.0mm iso200

vs

Sigma 180mm Macro
    Nikon D200 ,Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX APO Macro IF HSM
    1/10s f/11.0 at 180.0mm iso400

More than anything I was trying to push the limits of my tripod setup as I decide what needs to be updated first. The Nikkor is definately too much for my current support and I struggled to get the above, even with MLU and remote.

It just about is solid enough for the 180mm, probably also aided by the more robust collar.

Result - I will definately be investing in better support.

Cheers

Alex

2. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Are you using the stock collar on the 300/4? I've been looking at picking up one myself and have read over and over that the stock collar is pretty much garbage and people either wedge a cork between the foot and the lens or just upgrade to the Kirk collar. It may be all that's needed to improve your support issue drastically with the 300. Here's an article on it.
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/AFS300_test_images.html

3. Thanks Brian.

Yes, that is on my shopping list.

Cheers

Alex

4. Im a bit suprized, but then again it could be your support system as you said. I noticed quite a difference when I up-graded my cam head from Manfrotto 322RC2 to Markins M10 and I think I have read somewhere that the head affects stability more than tripod (assuming the tripod is not a total stick figure)...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  5. Jukka,

I am not far off laying my hard earned ££'s down for the Kirk collar and probably the Kirk BH-3 head.

I currently have Manfrotto 190ProB legs, that the tripod not my legs:wink:, do you think they will be OK for now or should I go the whole hog? I am looking at Gitzo 2220 or 2227 or maybe a Uniloc/Benbo type tripod.

Cheers

Alex

6. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Good shots Alex. I upgraded from a sqeeze to release head(not sure of the number now) to the acratech ballhead on the manfrotto legs you are using. Big improvement for the 300 mm. On some angles you have to rotate the acratech head a certain way to get things right.

7. Hi Alex!

I think you´ll be just fine with the tripod you already have. I haven´t seen one but what I just read I think it´s fine. Kirk collar and BH-3 will make the biggest difference IMO, so go for them... and ofcourse you can up-grade the tripod later if needed :smile:

8. Thanks fellas, sounds like I have come to a good compromise solution.

Cheers

Alex

9. I have the 300 f/4. I bought it used and it came with the Kirk collar. That pushed me to buy the BH-3, and let me tell you, I am glad that I did. That combo is absolutely rock solid, you will not be disappointed one bit with it. The difference between the kirk collar and the stock collar is night and day.

10. That's good to know, thanks. Hopefully it will arrive today and then I just need it to stop raining for 5 minutes so I can get out and shoot!:wink:

Cheers

Alex

11. What a difference. Definitely time to invest in a good support system.

Cheers

12. I will be getting my sigma 180 today, can't wait to contribute to this forum!

13. Well I got my Kirk BH-3 head today but the Kirk collar was out of stock and will follow in due course.

The Kirk head is a million miles away from my old Manfrotto 484rc2. I now realise what people mean when they say the RC system on the Manfrotto is not good enough. The ball locks down so easily and a quick test with the 300mm shows improvement already.

Cheers
    Alex

14. I remember the feeling when I got a M10 :smile:

The most amazing thing I thought back then was when enough friction was adjusted (and locked) there´s no need to touch any controls: just move cam&lens smoothly around and it holds...beautiful :smile:

I´ve got my orders from Nikonians very fast although they use a bit expenssive courier company and no other options, good & fast service anyway...

Hopefully you´ll get the collar soon!

15. Cheers Jukka