Sigma 180mm or Tamron 180mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snakeman, Apr 9, 2007.

1. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Whilst everyone is debating which macro is best in the other thread just curious as to peoples opinions on the best long macro?..I know the nikon 200mm is highly regarded but will be out of my range so its between the tamron and sigma..anyone have experience with either and care to share examples..thanks in advance.:cool:

2. I've taken a few test shots with both 180s and I'd rate them a toss up, shop price. But, in all fairness, a few test shots handheld might not be real legit. If this focal length is important I can certainly understand. The extra standoff distance over shorter lengths can be an advantage. Still, I'd like to suggest the Sigma 150/2.8.

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I was asking this same opinion and I eventually ended up choosing the Tamron 180.

You can see a few of my shots, albeit I am a true beginner with macro, in the Alabama get together thread... https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=109775

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Joe and Mike..I used to have the 150mm and would like the extra reach again and think the 180mm would suit me better..

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I did a little research on the tammy and sigma 180 macros, before buying the sigma. The general internet wisdom at the time, indicated that the sigma was quite a bit faster for AF. Since I also wanted to be able to use the lens as a normal tele, that's why I went with the sigma. It has worked fine for me, for both macro and tele, and I really like the macro working distance.

For florals and other stuff that doesn't require 1:1, I use my 70-180 micro, but the sigma 180 has replaced my tamron 90 as my general macro lens. :wink:

6. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Kerry..I am leaning towards the sigma..

7. Shoot! If you wanted extra reach, you could have put Sigma's TC on that 150, with a 1.4X TC, you would have almost the same aperture, more reach, and when you wanted it, the 150 2.8 with the TC off. I've heard from people on another site that the Sigma TC's work excellently with the 150.

8. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Mmm very true Shaun..I have recently purchased a Sigma 1.4x converter too
    Would love to see some shots taken with a 150mm and a converter.

9. My self I have the 180 sigma 105 sigma and 60 nikkor my 180 is the best.

Phillip.

10. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Have you any pics taken with the 180 phillip?

11. Hi I will see if i can find some.

Phillip.

:smile:

12. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Sigma 150mm + 1.4 TC.

13. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I'm going to shoot that very combo this weekend...if you can wait that long, LOL. I'm using my prime 150mm 2.8 and TC to shoot raptors at the PhotoWild event this weekend.

14. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Check the reviews at http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html
    They have reviews of the Sigma 150/2.8 in Nikon mount, and the Sigma 150/2.8 and 180/3.5 in Canon mount. These reviews are comprehensive and well balanced. Overall they give higher marks to the 150 due to better control of CA.

15. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks guys..Joshua look forward to seeing the pics,thankyou.Cheers for the link Shaun.Thanks Rvink much appreciated

16. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Here are some from the sigma 180.

[​IMG]

17. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Stunning shots Kerry!

18. Heh heh. Glad we're all makin' it hard for you to decide!:Devil: :biggrin: :wink: of course, this is lens lust!

19. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :biggrin: :Dizzy: Cheers Shaun!..I wish I hadn't sold my 150mm now..but at the time didn't really need the length as much and must admit I am not sorry I got the tamron 90mm.In a position to get another now and wouldn't mind a longer macro again..