1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 20mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fuss, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I hear a lot of talk about the sigma 30mm 1.4, any thoughts on the 20mm 1.8? is it a decent wide prime? I saw one in new condition for under $300, sound reasonable?

Thx

2. General consensus is the 20mm f1.8 is a decent performer, but the 24mm f1.8 is even better, For sharpness, light fallof, everything.

I almost bought one at 315$ CAD, but decided the 30mm f1.4 is what i truly wanted.

3. I used to see a fair number of post on various forums about the 20/1.8, 24/1.8, and 28/1.8 and which of three was the best. They all get votes. Mine was slightly soft wide open but very sharp from 2.8 to f8 and I loved the close focus capability. I sold it because I used the 12-24 much more often and, frankly, think its better at 20mm than the 20/1.8. I also have the 28/1.8 which I like very much and can recommend highly. I can't speak to the 24/1.8 having never used it, but I suspect it's well worth the price.

4. That price is quite good. I purchased one for $330 or so on Ebay. It's my NY Subway underground lens.

[​IMG]

I also use it above ground for low light

[​IMG]

I think the lens is quite good; the photographer otoh is just adequate :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.