Sigma 24-60mm f2.8, anyone??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by oz388, Sep 22, 2008.

1. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    Hi guys, I couldn't get any luck on finding stories about this lens. Does anyone have it? Do you recommend it?? Thanks!

2. I picked one up a few months ago. It's kind of an odd focal range but mine is nice and sharp at f4 and not quite as sharp at f2.8. I picked mine up new for around $250 Canadian and think it was a steal.

Here's a shot that I took last week with it.

large.gif

And another from back in the summer.

View attachment 256243

3. Hi Mike

Those are great shots. Gotta use mine a bit more now.

How are you?

Mike

4. I've been using one since just a few days after its introduction. Highly recommended for most general shooting situations.

5. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    Nice photos! and how's Fort McMurray?? :biggrin:

6. I got one about a month ago , and I guess its OK for the price (US$219). Not all that sharp at f2.8 or 4, so I sent it to Sigma in hopes they can make it better. They sent it back with a stamp on the invoice that said "repaired" . I didn't see any difference at all , so my guess they didn't touch it at all .

7. Thanks Mike.

I'm doing pretty good but this seems to be the year of health scares for me. Just dodged one bullet and now I've got another confronting me. Getting older is a pain in the butt.

8. Thanks, and Fort McMurray continues to lead the world in CO2 emissions so I guess we're doing a good job for the guys down in head offices in Calgary:)

9. Yeah, unfortunately there's a lot of variation in Sigma lenses and they seem to have a high tolerance for faults:-(

10. You got that right. I got a 17-35 that is not much better , and I sent it off to Sigma also. I'm sure it will come back with another rubber stamped "repaired" . I do have a 105mm that is sharp at all apertures , so they do occasionally put out some nice lens .

11. It's probably my most used lens on the D200 lately. Short of the lack of AFS/HSM there isn't too much I could fault about it. I had it at the same time as a Nikkor 35-70 F2.8, and didn't see any significant difference between the two, IQ wise. It's certainly a very good deal for the price it was selling for at the time ($190 shipped at Cameta).

A couple shots from it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    oh good god, this is sharp!

13. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    LOLs nice! :biggrin:

14. stamp22

stamp22

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The price is right

I have a chance to compare the shooting of Sig 24-60 and the Beast (which is belong to my friend). In same camera D80, same tripod, same manual setting, shot same object, same.........

For my check out , the Sigma quality is about 95-98% of the Nikon , but the price is hmmmm ,you alreary knew.

15. I picked one up from Cameta when they were under $200... sharp everywhere but 60/2.8, fine by 60/4... extremely compact for an f/2.8 lens, though balanced better on D80 than D200. Focus was quick enough even without HSM. I sold mine to get a Sigma 24-70/2.8, the size difference is massive. The 24-60 was an odd range, and I love the 24-70, but there are definitely times I miss the size of the 24-60. It's also one of the few f/2.8 lenses out there that allows you to use the on-board flash with no blockage (without the hood).