Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75? Wide open? Overall?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Jun 15, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Which one is better wide open?
    Which one is better overall?

I know that the sigma is big ..what else?

2. Hi Smodak
    Sigma is surely bigger and better built; it gives you a more pleasant touch sensation and a wider area when framing (much more noticeable than the difference between 70 and 75 on the tele end) but also forces you to get 82mm filters. Optically, from what I read in the past, people found it a bit more soft than the Tamron, and that's why i got this one. Once I also found a review where they proved with a good sample you could really compare results to the 28-70 Nikon, build quality aside.
    If you give a look here, you can ask by yourself:

SIGMA => http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/2470_28_ex_dg_asp_df
    TAMRON => http://www.pbase.com/cameras/tamron/sp_af_28-75_28_xr_di_ld_if

Give also a look to the comments. I bought mine for about 450$ while Sigma was almost at 600$ here. Later I'll post something else useful for you

3. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I have had both in the past, and the Tamron blew the Sigma away. Plus, it's much lighter and takes 67mm filters.

I have a Tamron 17-50 now and it is simply amazing.

4. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
  5. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Care to explain? Sharpness? Contrast? IQ? Color? Wide open performance?

6. From what I've heard, (and I only have the Tamron 28-75) That the Tamron is better than the Sigma 24-70, BUT the Sigma 24-60 is a fantastic lens.

USuall comparisons are sharpness, But from what I've seen the Tamron 28-75 is very sharp at f2.8. Theres lots of threads that compare it to the Beast (Nikon 28-70 f2.8). Also as an added bonus the Tamron is full frame, where as the Sigma 24-70 is not (Not sure about the 24-60).

7. Hi Lexiticus,
    I'm sorry but I think you're confusing the 24/70 with something else, I can assure you that that lens is for full frame, even if with inner lenses coatings optimized for digital cameras (DG labeling). Besides, a 24-70 designed ONLY for digital wouldn't have any sense, being a 36mm if you see, all Sigma, Tamron, Nikon and Tokina are starting around 16-17-18mm at the wider end. So is also the 24-60.