Sigma 24-70mm or Tamron 28-75?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snakeman, Apr 12, 2007.

1. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    I keep toying with the idea of replacing my 18-70 and these 2 seem like the likely candidates..would love to hear pro's and cons of bothand see any sample images.

2. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    Easy the Tamron I have owned both a couple times over and the Tamron is tack sharp with all the ones I have owned. I have also returned three Sigma's

3. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Read a lot of reviews that say the sigma is a fair bit softer at 2.8 also..The tamron just looks a bit "plastic"..

4. Get the tamron for sure, its also not a DX lens.

5. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Nor is the sigma..

6. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Just found a shop with both in stock????? Mmm seems from doing a little reading and searching that although not as well built the tamron is a fair bit sharper!

7. I had the 24-70/2.8 EX before they added the macro feature. I tested it on a shoot against a friends Tamron 28-75/2.8 wide open with mine at 24 and his at 28 (handheld). I thought the results at the time were a toss up. I think the build quality is better on the Sigma and the performance envelope is probably similar. FWIW - I sold a Nikkor 24-120VR to get the Sigma 24-70/2.8, and then sold it to get the Sigma EX 24-60/2.8.

8. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks for the input Mike much appreciated..not sure how true it is but the newer macro version is supposed to be sharper as the older one was quite soft apparently?..I do prefer the look and size of the sigma tbh and the local Jessops will give a 30 day money back guarentee if I don't like it..

9. I've heard that both the newer Sigmas (28-70, and 24-70 macro) are improved.

10. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Mmm maybe I should go for the sigma and try it out for a week or so as I have a month to decide if I like it..if not could always return it and get the tamron.

11. goldenburm

goldenburm Guest

well u told me to get the tamron!!!!!!!!

u lil monkey!

let me know if u get the other and how good it is!

12. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I second Mike's vote for the Sigma 24-60. Sharp, nonobtrusive and well-built.

13. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    It certainly seems to get more positives Pete..and if Jessops had it in I would get it from there and try that one first..the shop that has the tamron will not take it back once I have got it so seems the logical way round..:wink:
    You can buy my nikon if you like.
    The sigma is quite well priced for jessops at £299 and I can get the tamron for £249 so quite close in that respect.Have been reading up on them all night!! still can't decide 100% lol

14. I went with a slightly older Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX D DF to replace my Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 ATX (VERY soft at f/2.8 from 60mm +). It's basicly the middle-child of the 28-70mm's... newer than the original EX D, older than the EX DG. I've been very happy with it, especially compared to the Tokina... it's not tack sharp at f/2.8 but definitely usable through out the range... very sharp by f/4. It's smaller and lighter than the Tokina (same length w/ hood-on as Tokina w/ hood-off) but still very well built. It was also dirt-cheap, $165 shipped from a cafe member. All my other lenses (except my travel conzoomer) are Sigma EX and I like the feel, finish, value, and most importantly the IQ.

I know the newest 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro is supposed to be quite a bit sharper but I haven't read much on the newest 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG. I know it's the smallest and lightest of the Sigmas, probably not much different than the Tamron.

If you want the sharpest of the Sigmas you might want to look at the 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG. It may sound like an odd range but it's basicly a wider 28-70mm w/ the same focal length multiplication.

15. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks for the input Stephen..can't seem to find a great deal of info or reviews on the 24-60mm..

16. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Stephen I had seen some of those earlier..seems strange why its not as "popular" as the others..is it because of its focal length do you think.

17. I think so... alot of people see the 24-70mm and think "hey, that's a little wider"... but for some odd reason people see the 24-60mm and think "woah, that's alot shorter". Also there are 28-70mm and 24-70mm OEM lenses so those get compared to alot... there are no 24-60mm OEM lenses so there aren't as many people looking specificly for that range.

18. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Stuart,

I love my Tamron 28-75. I picked mine up at a local shop used for $300 USD and it has hardly left my camera since. It is very sharp and very fun to use.

For some reason, I can't get a photo to simply load in this page but the link below will open a picture I took in my backyard.

This was handheld, wide open then taken straight out of the camera with no PP.

Good luck with the decision

DSC_1213.

19. Try these:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=283&sort=7&cat=37&page=2
    Keep in mind that Sigma and Canon have had running issue with compatibility for some years now, with each pointing the finger at the other and most of the Fred Miranda review are probably from Canon users. You won't have a problem with a Nikon body.

http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/PP1004_LensTest.pdf

It sales have been limited by its range I think. We are used to seeing 24 or 28 to 70/80/85/100/etc. This one is a real sleeper. I happened to be at my favorite photo store one day a few months back when the Sigma rep was there. I asked him his opinion on Sigma's best lenses and he didn't want to commit, understandably, so I said, "I think the three best lenses you make are the EX 150 macro, EX 24-60/2.8, and EX 70-200/2.8." He just smiled knowingly. What is happening at Sigma I think is a real evolution. They are spending a lot of time and money on new designs for both new and old lenses and their QA is slowly improving. Their best lenses are as good as any with only a few exceptions. The Nikon "snobs" among us (and I love my Nikkors) are missing the boat by not considering the best of the Sigmas when shopping for lenses. I never think about resale, price, marquee value, etc., just the image. And Sigma can deliver.

Thanks for letting me rant and ...