Sigma 28-70 vs Nikon 28-70

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JohnR, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Talking with my brother via iChat about lenses and he is wanting a good all around lens but not an expensive one.

I found the Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D for $399 at B&H.

My question is...it's got the same f stop as the Nikon version...so how is this lens? Does anyone have one?

2. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have the Sigma 28-70.. awesome lens.. kinda wish it was a 18mm-70mm but i like it alot. I got it for 140.00 at a local store.

Very nice Lens.

3. Local stores here don't sell Sigma. Why do you wish it was 18-70?

4. 28mm on digital isn't wide. 42mm in 35mm equivalent. I feel the same way sometimes, thinking I could make do with a 28-75 Tamron but I know I would miss the wider angle 18mm gives.

5. Hi John...

When I was looking at getting a mid range zoom, I was told with the Sigma lenses, that the way to go would be the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 as this lens gave a lot better IQ than the Sigma 28-70. The biggest disadvantage of the 24-70 is the front element size, 82mm, which make for expensive filters (CP, Neutral, etc), other than a UV filter to protect it. Plus it is just that bit wider at 24mm.

You may also consider the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 as this is considered a very sharp lens for its price. Also a very sharp lens but not an f/2.8 is the Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 & the Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, still worth a look... But if your Brother is just looking for a general walk around lens, you couldn't go far wrong with the Nikon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6, this is a sharp lens and at about the price range you mentioned, has a good FL...

Good Luck with you decision.....

6. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    ditto, I really like my. Very sharp

7. Bearmont

Bearmont

Feb 28, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Just don't forget...ya get what you pay for, unfortunately, with lenses this cliche applies big time.

8. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    What about the Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lenses then, if you don't need the 50-80mm range. The Tamron 17-50mm is a real gem and "you get what you pay for" definatly doesn't apply to this one.

9. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Hey John,

I have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and love it. It is an incredibly sharp lens and stays on my camera most of the time.

If you are worried about the 18-28 range, then it may not work for you. When I need that range, I just throw my 18-55 kit lens on which has always been good.

I know Snakeman bought the Sigma 24-70 not long ago and ended up returning it. He said it was nice and sharp when stopped down, but real soft wide open. One of the things I like about the Tamron is it's sharpness at all apertures.

Here's a photo from the Tamron wide open with no PP other than sizing:

DSC_1213.

10. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Is that at f/2.8?

11. I can only speak for the Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 as I have not owned the other mentioned, but if I had the available funds... I would definitely get the Nikon.

I'd also like to add that I'm usually the first to recommend a cheaper lens that does the same job for less. Unfortunately, nothing I have found compares in image quality, color rendition and sharpness for a portrait zoom.

12. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I would like to see a comparison between the two, but I don't think anyone here has both lenses?

Would be interesting as I hear the 28-80 is a bit soft wide open and is much better stopped down and to see how the Tamron compares.

13. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Wieran,

Yep, that's taken @ 2.8 with no PP other than sizing for posting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.