sigma 28-70mm f/2.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jprphotography, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Anyone have experiences with this lens. Pros and Cons please. Im temped to buy one used and i mainly shoot journalism and sports.

2. I used a Sigma 24-70mm on my Canon before I sold that for the Canon 24-70L.

The sigma had pretty good IQ, contrast and colors didn't show as well as the Canon, however sharpness was good wide open.

The AF was the main reason I didn't like it. It's very noisy like a high pitch grinder (but not as loud) You can definately hear the micromotor (it's not HSM). The AF was decently quick, I think the sound made it actually seem slower than it was.

I'm still not a fan of the clutch AF on the Sigma's and Tokina's.

For the money it's a good deal, but I've shot with a 28-70 Nikkor and it's a fabulous lens! I can't wait to get my hands on a 24-70 Nikkor.

Why not look into a 24-70 Sigma or a 24-60 (~ $200USD) if you're going the Sigma route?

3. Why are those two better by comparison to the 28-70?

4. Sort of a broad comparison since I'm not in a controlled test. But it kind of shows how both the Canon 24-70 L (~$1200) and the Sigma 24-70 (~$400) both perform great. AF is the main difference :) 

Both produce good Bokeh

Sigma 24-70
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canon 24-70 L
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friend shooting his 28-80 Nikkor!!
    [​IMG]

5. The 24-70 is just an update on the 28-70's range.

The 24-60 was popular with the Sigma/Canon crowd because it was only $~200 new and it was very sharp and light.

6. I've had the following (in order) and here are my comments...

Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 ATX Pro - Best build, soft at f/2.8, still soft at 80mm f/4. Got rid of due to softness on long end. Also back focused bad at 80mm. Not sure if a trip to Tokina could have fixed this, but alot of others had the same issue. Still miss the amazing build, on par with any Nikkor pro lens.

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX D DF - Decent build, sharp at f/4, sharp at f/2.8 up to 50mm, warm colors. Great lens for the $225 I paid on eBay. Would still have it if it weren't stolen along with my D50.

Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX II - Very solid build, sharp at f/4, sharp at f/2.8 up to 60mm, cool colors. Built as well as the 28-80mm version but without the crinkle finish. Dual-focus mechanism was awkward. Sold because I won an auction for the Sigma 24-60mm that I thought I'd lost.

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG
    - Decent build, light, compact sharp at f/2.8 throughout. The sharpest I've had, but a somewhat awkward range. Great for anyone looking for a really light and compact f/2.8 zoom... about the size of an 18-70mm kit lens but with 77mm threads.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG DF - Decent build like all the other Sigmas, large but not all that heavy, balances well on D80. Sharp at f/2.8 throughout, super sharp at f/4. Extends as it goes wider making on-board flash nearly useless. 82mm filters are expensive but I don't use them. Bought used on Amazon for $300... thought I was getting the Macro version, settled for a $50 refund and a free Hoya 1A filter, so ended up being $250... a bargain for this lens.

Summary - all of the sigmas are great lenses, especially in the $200 - $300 range depending on which one you get. These are some really great values. Now I'm thinking the only way I'd upgrade would be if they add HSM to the 24-70mm f/2.8 Macro... might even pay retail for that lens. The Tokinas have a great build quality but I would say stay away unless you can thoroughly test sharpness before purchase or can return.

7. mrluilou

mrluilou

Feb 15, 2009
    California
    ^great review!! i really want a 28-70mm f/2.8 lens and i'm thinking of getting the sigma because the nikkor one is just too expensive for a poor college student =(

8. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    I just picked up a Sigma 28-70mm because the price was very right, and found it to be a decent lens. It is quite usable at f2.8, and the focus is dead on. I prefer the look of the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm for portraits, but the Sigma holds its own.

9. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    I can second the Sigma 24-70 recommendation.
    bought this lens when i went FX (had a 17-55 nikkor on DX).
    It is a very good lens, close focussing, sharp at f2.8, superb at f4 and above.

10. VvvJRvvV

VvvJRvvV

Jan 27, 2008
    Maryland
    I have an 18-50 Sigma and really wish I had just a bit more. Does anyone know if the new 24-70 extends out? This would be a deal breaker for me.

11. It probably does extend out. I would be surprised if it didn't.

12. The Sigma 24-70mm extends as you go wider, which makes the onboard flash almost completely useless. If you'll be using your SB800 most of the time, it's a non-issue.

13. omarlyn

omarlyn

Mar 14, 2009
    Miami
    I had the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 (in Canon mount)...it was a descent performing lens (especially considering the price I paid $200). Pros were descent IQ wide open which got better as you stopped down and build quality. Cons were very supceptible to flaring outdoors and colors were not as saturated as 'L' lenses (but acceptable). Pros/Cons were very noisy AF & very warm colors which depending on your preference is either a good or bad thing. Additionally (this may only apply to Canon mount) focusing worked well but not nearly as fast (or as accurate) as OEM lenses).

HTH,
    Omar

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.