Sigma 2x converter on Sigma 70-200 test shots

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Brew, May 18, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

I purchased a Sigma 2x converter to use on my Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens to get more reach at my son’s baseball games. I put together some quick test shots at different focal lengths with and without the teleconverter with the lens at full open in both cases. I suppose I should have used the same f stop without the converter for a better comparison so maybe I can redo at a latter time.
    I don’t know what to think of these shots, I guess I have been a little disappointed with this lens being soft when full open at max length but it performs real well at higher f stops and say 180mm at below. I can’t see any major loss in quality by adding the converter and if there is a better way of doing a more scientific test please let me know.

I cropped out the center section of each of these photos to about ½ of their original size.

no PP was done on these and I don't know why they seem so out of focus because I used a tripod and timer however it was windy out but still!!!

2x100

2x70

All of them can be seen here.

http://www.pbase.com/brucelandry/lens_test

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Bruce
    I have been waiting for you to get the converter in so you can help me decide if I want one or not. The shots with the converter a definitely darker than those without. Was the shutter speed the same on each shot.

You said both were wide open. Does that make the converter shots at 5.6.

I know I will add a converter for this lens. I'm just trying to decide between the 2 and the 1.4.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Rex, For all shots I had the camera in Aperture Priority so the shutter speed would have adjusted.

Yes with the converter wide open the aperture would be 5.6 and without it was 2.8. I suppose I should have bumped up the aperture on the lens only shots to have a better comparison.

I hope this helps.

4. Bruce -

I recently purchased the Sigma 2x converter also. Although I haven't had many shots with it yet, I been pleased with it. Here's an example in harsh lighting from a track meet:

43565985.original.

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Hey Bruce,
    I'm waiting on more samples pics. I not going to order until you tell me to. I guess you've figured out that i am a very patient person.

Catalyst
    Is you're shot with the Sigma 70-200 2.8

6. Rex -

Yep, the pole vaulter was shot with the Sigma 2x teleconverter attached to the Sigma 70-200 mm HSM EX. That shot was at 220 mm, f/8, 1/800 s.

I'm finding that I'm keeping the 70-200mm lens on my D70 more and more - I'm very happy with it. Here's one from the same track meet (Big XII Championships) using just the 70-200 mm at 165 mm f/8, 1/1000 s, ISO 250.

43429718.original.

catalyst

7. Brew

Brew Guest

Rex,

look at my signature, you sure don't want to be taking advice from me :wink:

OK it's not too bad and here are a few shots at my son's baseball practice shot from my car leaning the lens on the side-view mirror. At 400mm I can't hand hold it because I'm not steady enough.

Again these are untouched, just right from the camera.

large.

Cat, Those are some nice looking shots!!