Sigma 2x converter on Sigma 70-200 test shots

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Brew, May 18, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

I purchased a Sigma 2x converter to use on my Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens to get more reach at my son’s baseball games. I put together some quick test shots at different focal lengths with and without the teleconverter with the lens at full open in both cases. I suppose I should have used the same f stop without the converter for a better comparison so maybe I can redo at a latter time.
    I don’t know what to think of these shots, I guess I have been a little disappointed with this lens being soft when full open at max length but it performs real well at higher f stops and say 180mm at below. I can’t see any major loss in quality by adding the converter and if there is a better way of doing a more scientific test please let me know.

I cropped out the center section of each of these photos to about ½ of their original size.

no PP was done on these and I don't know why they seem so out of focus because I used a tripod and timer however it was windy out but still!!!

2x100

View attachment 9028

2x70

View attachment 9029

View attachment 9030

All of them can be seen here.

http://www.pbase.com/brucelandry/lens_test

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Bruce
    I have been waiting for you to get the converter in so you can help me decide if I want one or not. The shots with the converter a definitely darker than those without. Was the shutter speed the same on each shot.

You said both were wide open. Does that make the converter shots at 5.6.

I know I will add a converter for this lens. I'm just trying to decide between the 2 and the 1.4.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Rex, For all shots I had the camera in Aperture Priority so the shutter speed would have adjusted.

Yes with the converter wide open the aperture would be 5.6 and without it was 2.8. I suppose I should have bumped up the aperture on the lens only shots to have a better comparison.

I hope this helps.

4. Bruce -

I recently purchased the Sigma 2x converter also. Although I haven't had many shots with it yet, I been pleased with it. Here's an example in harsh lighting from a track meet:

43565985.original.

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Hey Bruce,
    I'm waiting on more samples pics. I not going to order until you tell me to. I guess you've figured out that i am a very patient person.

Catalyst
    Is you're shot with the Sigma 70-200 2.8

6. Rex -

Yep, the pole vaulter was shot with the Sigma 2x teleconverter attached to the Sigma 70-200 mm HSM EX. That shot was at 220 mm, f/8, 1/800 s.

I'm finding that I'm keeping the 70-200mm lens on my D70 more and more - I'm very happy with it. Here's one from the same track meet (Big XII Championships) using just the 70-200 mm at 165 mm f/8, 1/1000 s, ISO 250.

43429718.original.

catalyst

7. Brew

Brew Guest

Rex,

look at my signature, you sure don't want to be taking advice from me :wink:

OK it's not too bad and here are a few shots at my son's baseball practice shot from my car leaning the lens on the side-view mirror. At 400mm I can't hand hold it because I'm not steady enough.

Again these are untouched, just right from the camera.

large.

View attachment 9034

View attachment 9035

View attachment 9036

Cat, Those are some nice looking shots!!