1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 30 f/1.4... is the lens ever going to come out?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Chad Gladstone, May 6, 2005.

1. I have been eagerly awaiting this lens since its pma announcement and have heard nothing recently about availability. Anyone heard of when it will be available other than the sigma website that has stated "available soon" for two months now. I am getting tired of shooting with my back to the wall for indoor shots and while still managing to cut of appendages because the subject is too close.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That lens looks cool to me as well Chad. Hopefully it'll have optical qualities like the 28mm f/1.4 Nikkor, but a price like the 35mm f/2. The latter of those two is what I use as a normal lens for my dSLR.

But like you, I'm anxious to see the sigma. I asked about it at my local camera shop last week, but they poo-pooed it. And that makes me think it might be good... ;) 

3. I'm with you guys, I'm chomping at the bit for this lens. I did just read last nigth where a UK site has it listed for $600 US (319 British Pounds). They also posted a price for the 10-20mm Sigma but I don't recall what that was.

Hopefully this means we'll hear some news soon.

_/oe

4. If that is any indication - this lens will probably have a street price of between $300 - $400 stateside. If the bokeh is less harsh, the focus speed is significantly faster than the 50 f/1.4 and it is reasonably sharp wide open, I will jump on it in a second (for 1/4 the cost of the 28 f/1.4 it would be hard not to consider this lens). On specs alone, apart from the minimum focus distance, this lens promises to be the perfect normal prime for low light shooting. I can't wait. My only waning thought is that Nikon will redesign the 50 or 35 in DX with afs just after I purchase this lens.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Don't hold your breath. :( 

6. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    There is no point in coming out with a prime lens like this without being very good IMHO.
    Cheers from Alaska!
    Tom

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    FWIW Adorama currently lists the price as $449, which is a bit higher than I was hoping it would be. They don't actually have it in stock though. From what I've heard it's supposed to ship sometime this month, which probably means the big stores will get 3 or 4 of them in on the last day of the month which will sell out immediately. :) 

8. Thanks for the info. FM forums are quoting street price at $270. If msrp is $450 then I think somewhere in between - around $350 is where the lens will be by the start of summer if, in fact, it is available for delivery by the end of May. Looks like I'll have to decide whether my 50 f/1.4 can coexist or will be replaced by this lens. I predict a tremendous glut in the used market for fast 50s and 35s if this lens is a decent preformer.

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Sigma 30mm

Hi Chad,

Seems like it's time to sell the 50mm 1.4, especially my AIS manual focus. By the way, have you considered the Sigma 20mm, 24mm and 28mm 1.8 offerings? If yes, let me know what you think of them.

Cheers,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.