Sigma 300-800mm Question?

G

Gary Mayo

Are there users of the SigMonster 300-800mm?

I am thinking I want to add this lens to my collection, but it is a sizable investment and I want some input from a few users.

G

Gary Mayo

I have not gotten bored yet, but it has wet my appetite for big lenses.

I have a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX DG AF

So I thought this might compliment that lens and take up where that leaves off.

Did you get bored of the 500mm already? :biggrin:

I don't have the lens, but you can see some examples of shots taken with it at

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/300-800_56_ex_dg_if_hsm_apo
and
http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=10167

Bear in mind it is an f/5.6 lens, so you likely wouldn't be able to use any converters with it and maintain AF capabilities (not that you would need to, shooting at 800mm!)

I'm not a user (or owner!) of that lens, but I actually can't remember seeing a lousy shot from it yet. It definitely delivers performance commensurate with its price level. Hmm... it seems that Sigma has raised the price on it again, too. That's at least four price increases on it in the past year or two.

On the other hand, this isn't, uhm, a decision (or a lens) to be taken lightly. (LOL) It's 21" long before you put the hood on it, and it weighs something like 13 lbs. The hood is enormous by itself, and I've never seen one in the field without a full Wimberley and a BIG tripod. To go shooting with it, you need 13 lbs of lens, 5 lbs of head, 5 lbs of tripod and 3lbs of camera = 26 lbs, or roughly the weight of two bowling balls and a LOT more awkward!

I own it, it is simply amazing. Sharpness, quality, everything is superb.
One thing, it is huge and very heavy, you must rethink your tripod and head for this sucker.
I went to Tikal Guatemala to shoot wildlife with it, and walking a few kilometers with it is something you do not want to do ! it almost killed me !!
This is a lens that I take with me in my little yamaha Rhino or in my car and shoot without walking that much.

I gotta tell you, 300-800 mm is a great focal length, you locate the bird at 300mm then zoom in...very flexible. I don't know about you, but finding a bird with a fixed focal length like a 600mm is hard, there is where a zoom comes in very handy.

Now, having said that, after "dealing" with the 300-800mm, my 600mm MF f/5.6 nikkor is child stuff, heck, I feel now that I can hand hold it and it is my portable lens !!!

G

Gary Mayo

So a copy of non DG at under $4000 is a good deal?

How much better is the DG version? Should I hold off and get a DG version?

these are phenomenal photographs, stunning results from such a lens, I like the idea that you don't have to use a tc to get the 800mm reach. Gary how are you enjoying your 120-300? I did some shooting handheld at a rookery with the 2x and are simply stunned at the results, can't wait to post a few. Do you own the Sigma 500mm? I'm trying to aquire one somehow.
Kevin P.

great deal Gary !

It is a FANTASTIC DEAL if in good shape. The cheapest I found it 8 months ago was $6000+ and now it must be more expensive with the dollar exchange.

I have not compared the DG with non DG, so I have not seen the difference side by side, but the DG stands for "enhanced coating for digital" that they put on the last elements on the inside. But to be honest, with the correction software built in the new cameras plus PP, IF YOU NEED IT, which I do not think so.... sounds great.

My old nikkors are not Digital enhanced and they do a great job !

Make sure you take a good look at the lens before, I know that they had a few years ago some non-DG from a insurance recovery company for sale, I guess that they smelled like smoke, but where intact (based on the seller), that they sold in ebay quite cheap, that is a shame I did not jump on the opportunity then.

Good luck.

So a copy of non DG at under $4000 is a good deal?

How much better is the DG version? Should I hold off and get a DG version?

Have the DG version

and I am quite pleased with it. I bought a special stabilizer mod to my Wimberley II and Gitzo 1548. Don't know if I needed it but even with it installed I lay my hand/arm across the top of the lens if there is any breeze, just as a precaution. I love the results and the lens is sharp wide open although I usually shoot at f/8 if the light permits. I was looking for a Nikkor 600 for a particular shoot and couldn't find one. I am glad I bought the Sigma.

Latest threads

Top Bottom