Sigma 30mm 1.4 owners ?

I just bought this lens on Monday after a lot of research and after viewing some of the stunning photos some of you have posted. So needless to say I am not very happy with the lens that I have. I am finding that the majority of the images I take with it are way out of focus. I feel like a dumby or something. Is it just me or has any one else experienced the same difficulties with this lens??

Shelley- Good to see a fellow Albertan. My 30 1.4 wasn't too bad when I got it but I thought the focus was off a bit. I sent it in to Genetec in Ontario which is the Sigma wholesaler and they re-calibrated the focus. Just look them up on the web and ship your lens to them, they do this routinely at no charge. Takes 10 days. If your lens is really bad I'd go back to the dealer and get a second copy.

Don't give up, mine is absolutely fabulous since I got it calibrated and very sharp.

Just curious if you have had a lot of experience with a 1.4 lens? Excuse the question, but you don't have anything listed in your signature.

My 1.4's, especially wide open, took a lot of practice to get used to because the DOF is extremely small.

If you think it's the lens, then definitely send it back. If this is your first lens that goes down to 1.4, then maybe technicque needs to be practiced. Maybe try taking some shots with a tripod and remote to see if you get any sharper images.

I've never used a 1.4 before but have up to 1.8. I can't even get the lens to focus that great at 2.8! I'll take your suggestion though and try it on a tripod and see what I come up with.

It has to cost them more money to fix/adjust all of these lenses after the fact, than it would to simply set them up correctly from the get go. For sure, they would have a much better image with the photographically inclined public.

Real Name
Randy
if i got a new one that did that i would send it back for another new one and make the store pay ship both ways

i don't think it would be that expensive for sigma to simply check the focus of every lens before shipping them out

I'll second those suggesting you send it in for calibration (after trying the D300 fine tuning). I have a Sigma 30mm, and if the focus is accurate it's not hard to get a sharp picture at f/1.4 - just press down half way and then full as soon as it focus locks. This lens is notorious for front and back focus issues - I've read of others going through 4+ lenses to get a "good" one. When I got mine I confirmed focus issues - it was sharp when MF'd and backfocused a lot when AF'd. Instead of hoping for a better copy next time I sent it to Sigma and they sent it back perfect!

I did just try the AF fine tune...it seems to have helped a bit but I think I'm just going to send it in...after all I did pay $500+ for it so I may as well get whatever I can done to it to make sure it's 100%.
Thanks everyone for you help!

S

scooptdoo

Just curious if you have had a lot of experience with a 1.4 lens? Excuse the question, but you don't have anything listed in your signature.

My 1.4's, especially wide open, took a lot of practice to get used to because the DOF is extremely small.

no kidding!before assuming its a defective uncalibrated lens,whats the real odds off that?,take more pics.set it on a tripod .you do realize if you shooting at 1.4 you actual feild of focus is mighty thin?

N

Nuteshack

I did just try the AF fine tune...it seems to have helped a bit but I think I'm just going to send it in...after all I did pay $500+ for it so I may as well get whatever I can done to it to make sure it's 100%.
Thanks everyone for you help!

no biggy, just send it in for the fix. this lens is best bought with that in mind:cool:

Here's an issue with testing a new low light lens that a lot of people (me for one) may have when they first play around with them. The first thing we tend to do is try to shoot quality pictures inside and then we complain that the pics didn't turn out perfect. Initial test shots won't end up being the type that would allow us to see if the lens was actually working. Something simple (like AF Assist Light being off or too high of an ISO) can impact focus and picture quality in lower light rooms.

I now start doing initial tests using low ISO, a well lighted room with a flash attached (even if the flash isn't needed), or in sunlight. Once I was confident that the lens is able to be sharp, then I'll go to lower light situations until I got a feel for the lens. I had serious issues with getting both the 50mm and 30mm 1.4 to "feel" right until I used bright light tests to confirm that any issue with the pictures was in my control, not the lens.

N

Nuteshack

Here's an issue with testing a new low light lens that a lot of people (me for one) may have when they first play around with them. The first thing we tend to do is try to shoot quality pictures inside and then we complain that the pics didn't turn out perfect. Initial test shots won't end up being the type that would allow us to see if the lens was actually working. Something simple (like AF Assist Light being off or too high of an ISO) can impact focus and picture quality in lower light rooms.

I now start doing initial tests using low ISO, a well lighted room with a flash attached (even if the flash isn't needed), or in sunlight. Once I was confident that the lens is able to be sharp, then I'll go to lower light situations until I got a feel for the lens. I had serious issues with getting both the 50mm and 30mm 1.4 to "feel" right until I used bright light tests to confirm that any issue with the pictures was in my control, not the lens.

good word, Kap. ideal light gives u an easily aquired focus lock. coupled with more than ample shutter speed and the lowest iso. any lens can suffer focus glitches in poor lit, higher iso situations:cool:

I've had two copies, both bearing focus issues and had to return both. From time to time and specially after seeing the excelent pics that some members post here, I became tempted again to do a 3rd try. However in a few minutes I cool down and say to myself - no more! That's it: I am not willing to go through the same again.
Therefore (and may be other folks do not agree with me), I suggest you to return the lense to the store, asking them to send it to Sigma to fix (asking the store or Sigma to pay the transport expenses, OF COURSE) and if after that the problem stays the same (as happened to me), simply ask for your money from the store or swap it for a different item.
It is incridible how Sigma keeps selling lenses suffering from such bad CQ as they do! That's why I promised to myself - Sigma no more!
Good luck!
Rui

SB-800, TC Kenko Pro300 1.4, Manfrotto 190MF4+804RC Head

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Latest threads

Top Bottom