Sigma 30mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Keaka, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    The 17-55 attached to the D1X is an absolute tank. I've been thinking of switching over to the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and was wondering if anyone has any personal feedback on it as far as image quality goes.

I'm aware of some QC issues with the focusing.. one of my friends had one of the worst cases of this as his 20D and Sigma combination backfocused severely.. but I'm hoping to pick out a good copy.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm also interested to know if anyone likes or dislikes this lens.

However, I wasn't aware there were any issues with it. I'll have to read further.

Thanks,

3. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    Personally I think the "issues" are overrated. I've seen some samples out of that lens and the pictures as far as sharpness and contrast goes is top notch.

There hasn't been many official reviews on this lens though :(

4. I had one for a couple of weeks and the focus was hit and miss as close distances - so much so that I did not have the requisite confidence in its af preformance to justify keeping the lens. In retrospect, however, it may be that my focusing woes were aggravated by relying on the sb-800 focus assist which evidently aims above the subject if the subject is within 8 feet of the lens. This would explain why the focus was spot on at greater subject distances, while struggling mightily at close range. In addition (and somewhat more troubling, however,) was the strange triangular bokeh in high contrast scenes in the outermost 1/3 of the frame.
    One the plus side, the lens was fabulous stopped down and better wide open than the 50 f/1.4, bokeh rendering was spectacular (except for the aforementioned rare exception of trangles in high contrast scenes), focus was fast, silent and accurate beyond 8 feet or so and color was neutral.
    In summary, I think the focus accuracy is fine except with the sb-800 focus assist at close distances, so if you can live with the occasional strange bokeh, its preformance is outstanding for the money especially when considering the cost of the nikon alternative. Here is a sample image:
    [​IMG]

5. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    Yes I've heard of some issues focusing at close distances but I think those can be dealt with. I love how 3D the images are. Ever since I started with the 17-55 I've found I can't go back to long lenses for most purposes.

With the problems you had using focus assist on the SB-800.. were you in dynamic AF or single point AF?

6. Dynamic AF primarily. Like I said, I believe that the problem is limited to the sb-800 af assist and only at short subject distances. I regret my hasty decision to return the lens. I will probably get another one soon (I am kind of waiting to see if Nikon announces any more lenses this year first). Three more comments, two positive and one negative. The lens is nice and compact, build quality is excellent, but the lens cap is awkward to remove with the hood attached. Good Luck with your decision - the 3D effect you allude to is quite amazing indeed.

7. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    I was just wondering if it was the dynamic AF fumbling the autofocus rather than the AF assist. Thanks for the input :)

Looks like I will eventually be supplementing my lens collection with the 30mm 1.4 :) It'll be less weight on me and less of an attention grabber than the 17-55 for sure.

8. While the 30 1.4 by Sigma may be an excellent lens, I decided to stick with Nikon and get a 35 2D. I have heard so many great things about it; all of which are true. Plus you never know there may be a Full Frame in the future so I am limiting my self to the 10.5, 12-24, and the 17-55 for now. The 10.5 and 12-24 were neccessities, however it took a lot to give up my 17-35. I shoot PJ a lot and the extra length put the 17-55 over. Plus I was able to sell the 17-35 and the 28-70 by replacing them with the 17-55.

I would say the 35 2 is definately worth looking at.

GenoP

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 35mm f/2D AF
    1/5000s f/2.0 at 35.0mm iso100
    [​IMG]

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 35mm f/2D AF
    1/45s f/3.3 at 35.0mm iso800
    [​IMG]

9. I'll soon find out since I just reordered the lens - I'll let you know if you are still on the fence when it arrives.

10. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    I'm very very very close to ordering mine :)