1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 30mm or 50mm f/1.4?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by EssieK, Aug 27, 2008.

1. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Hi all,

Having shot a couple thousand photos now, and reviewed my settings etc I'm a bit at a loss whether I should aquire the 30 or the 50 as my fixed prime. I've tried to evaluate in what range I tend to shoot more, and it's pretty evenly spread from 25ish to the early 60s (and then a jump up to 110-140 range).

Would perhaps a 50mm suit me better than a 30mm here?

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Many people here, myself included, just love the performance of the Sig 30. You could also wait until the Sig 50/1.4 hits the shelves, which should be soon (hopefully!). The Sig 50 has HSM, which will autofocus on your D60, whereas the Nikon lenses will not.

3. EssieK

EssieK Guest

It seems that the 50 will hit the shelves here in Norway around September 8th, I'll pop down to the local shop and test it I think (and compare it to the dirty thirty (as I see you call the 30mm :smile: - why do you call it that by the way?))

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Oh nice! Sept 8? I wonder if it will release here in the states before or after that. You'll have to report back on the performance of that lens if you do go try it out :smile:. I basically just wanted to give it a nickname and "thirty" rhymes with "thirty"......and there ya have it. :biggrin:

5. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Hehe, nice.

Hopefully they'll have it in stock by then. At around $600 it ain't too pricey either. And it's going to be either the 30 or the 50 that's tagging along for my vacation with my family starting Sept 17th (along with my 18-200)

edit: seems they have it in stock with a canon-mount.... and that they've ordered the Nikon-version, but haven't been given a definite delivery-date...

6. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I think you should get the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AIS. I haven't tested my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 yet, but the 35mm f/1.4 is magical. Truly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.