1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Sigma 400mm f/5.6 D APO Macro

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Tom/Cocoa, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell me if the Sigma 400mm f/5.6 D APO Macro is much better than the Sigma 400 f/5.6 APO. I know the APO Macro is 77 mm where the non Macro is 72 mm or should I avoid both? Any pics with the Sigma 400mm f/5.6 D APO Macro would be appriciated.
    thanks
    tom

2. Hi Tom

I had alot of experience with the 77mm APO Telemacro, but in a Sigma mount. I owned the lens in a Nikon mount, but did not use it and ended up selling it before getting some real good use out of it. I am very sorry that I sold it, but will now utilize my 300mmNikon with a TC.

I never used the 72mm thread design. But everyone you speak to will tell you to forget about the 72mm. The 77mm is a beautiful lens in a Zen(soft textured) finish. It's close focusing near macro capability is a great plus. The optics are superb for the price. The Nikon mount has the very helpful focus limiter switch, but too bad was not made with Sigma's HSM motor.

I highly recommend the 77mm thread design.

Here are a couple with my Sigma mount 400mm APO Telemacro HSM:

click on image for larger view

Sigma SD9
    IMG02527xlarge.
    SIGMA SD9    ---    400mm    f/6.7    1/90s    ISO 100

Sigma SD10
    IMG10186.
    SIGMA SD10    ---    400mm    f/7.1    1/320s    ISO 100

3. I only know the Canon mount of the Macro version and it is a very decent lens, primarily because you can often get it at a very nice price and offers huge bang per buck because of that. it's not in the top category but is a sound buy IMO. remembering back the concensus was that the Macro is the version to buy and the othersd are not worth bothering with so much.

4. Thanks for your information. Verry helpful.. There is one on the big bay for 425.00 which is probably top dollar for the lens but for the reach is a good buy. Not sure what to do. What I really want is the Sigma 500 4.5 but even used is around 2500.00. I have the fever so have to be careful to make the right decision.
    again thanks
    tom

5. Just FYI Tom.

I bought mine for about $450.00. I sold it on Ebay for $675.00. I am talking about the Nikon Mount.

I struggled to get $400 for my Sigma mount ones..I had two of them. Don't forget with the high ISO capabilities of the D3/300, the F5.6 is not as much a problem as in the past.

I am tempted to buy the lens myself. But I think that I will stick with my 300F4 + TC combo for now.

My opinion is that if this lens is all the seller says it is........Grab it! He could very well be pricing the lens governing what the Sigma mounts are worth. I don't believe that you can get hurt with the lens.

Good Luck

mike

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  6. Tom

I ended up buying the lens for $420.00. If you want it, I will be happy to ask the buyer if he could ship it directly to you. It doesn't matter either way to me. But I think that the fair thing to do is to offer you first refusal.

Private message me if you want the lens.

mike

7. Thanks

Thanks Mike but everything happens for a reason and it's not fair for you to have to sell it for the same price you bought it for. I had the opportunity to buy but hisitated to be sure it was what I need..
    thanks for the offer though.
    tom

8. Hey Tom. No sweat. If you want the lens you can pay the seller direct, and I will ask him to ship it direct to you. I really don't care whether I buy it or not.

I did buy it because I know the lens well, and I feel it is unquestionably worth the money.

It is your call. If I don't hear back from you tonite, thank you for the tip.

mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.