Sigma 50-150/2.8: Two Questions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ElanR, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ElanR

ElanR

Feb 10, 2008
    Texas, USA
    I'm very interested in this lens as a replacement for my 70-200/VR. Two issues are holding me back though.
    1. Is it sharp wide open? Some full resolution samples at different focal lengths would be very much appreciated.
    2. Every shot I've seen with this lens seems to have a bit of a purple/blue tinge to it, especially skin tones. Anyone else notice this? I'm very particular about rendering, so this is a major issue for me.
    I like everything about this lens: range, HSM, decent build, size & weight, pretty much everything else. I just need to overcome these two issues to pull the trigger. The Tokina is a distant second choice, but from what I've seen, it renders clean and completely neutral colors and is sharp wide open. So I might end up compromising just about everything else to get those two qualities.

2. ElanR

ElanR

Feb 10, 2008
    Texas, USA
    Anyone?

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I use this lens quite a bit. Haven't noticed the issues you mention but I'm really just an amateur enthusiast and my critical eye may be lacking!

Here's a shot at f3.5/150mm:
    p460637316-5.

This gallery was shot with the Sigma entirely using f2.8 and f4 (image data is available):
    http://holmes.zenfolio.com/p186544716/

Hope this helps.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. This thread on photo net may help. It starts with the Tokina 50-135 but does provide some discussion, pictures and links on the Sigma. I believe they found it sharp wide open at the longer end : http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00PqyT

6. ElanR

ElanR

Feb 10, 2008
    Texas, USA
    Many thanks Holms. Both the image and the gallery are very helpful. You images are rendered more accurately than some others I've seen. Several images have a slight blue tinge that's mostly evident in the reds. At this level though, I could live with. The sharpness looks fine too.

Thanks David. I already found this thread. It was some of the images in it led to my concern initially. I followed-up by looking through Pbase and the problems were the same.

Thanks Nick. Interestingly, the Tokina images in this thread look pretty dull. Images I saw elsewhere were crisp and colorful. Not sure why except maybe the photographer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.