Sigma 50-150 and Nikon 50 at 2.8...you pick

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by 2nd Trick, Jul 20, 2007.

1. 2nd Trick

2nd Trick Guest

And here are the crops
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thing that amazes me here is that the Nikon 50 1.4 is stopped down 2 stops whereas the Sigma is wide open!

2. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

The second picture between 50-150 and 50 seems to be more blurry to my eyes. They both look terrible, honestly.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i prefer #2

4. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I shoot raw and use Raw Magick Lite so all those settings don't really apply anyway. I have looked at every single image I have processed at 100% with no sharpening. I'm just saying, this test seems fishy since neither picture looks very good. I'm very glad that you have a great Sigma 50-150 though. A friend of mine is looking at it and I'll probably tell him it seems pretty decent.

5. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Gorgeous bricks I love them both. Lol

6. dgh3

dgh3

Mar 13, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I think I like this idea - post samples and then comment on their quality without peeking ahead. So, I read the first post, blew up the pictures and checked it out.

This is pretty hard for me as I'm not sure which I prefer. Detail looks pretty similar across the images. Color looks a bit different, but it could be lighting changes, but without the original in hand I can't say. Probably, the top is better as it is most similar to the "pics of bricks" in another post.

I'm not too suprised with this test, as I've post images of the same test with my lenses, and found pretty much the same thing. Hopefully, the rest of the thread will be more fun to read than mine was. Some people don't like this conclusion much.

Edited: I just looked at the second post which has more detail and the right is clearly sharper.

Edited again: I think I know which is which? But in the second shot?

7. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

so this might be a little hindsight thing, but I think I've figured a way to tell a sigma lens shot from nikon lens shot. I had forgotten about this, but leaving the photo untouched, I think I can tell the difference now, aside from sharpness, contrast or other. I'd like to see more side by side shots untouched. Maybe my idea is full of it, but we'll see maybe?