Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 (Sample Pics Posted and a small review)

So I just bought the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 from 2nd Trick (Stephen) and I must say I am pretty excited about this lens. The first thing I noticed when I put it on the camera is that the lens doesn't extend when you zoom...which I really like. Also, this copy seems tack sharp and very clean. It looks immaculate and seems to take very good pictures as well.

First, here's a shot of the lens without the hood (as it covers up a lot of the lens itself):
sigma50150f28.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are some test shots I did just walking around the yard yesterday (at f/2.8 and f/8 just to see how it performs). First we have a shot of the flowers in front of my house at f/2.8.
flower_f28.jpg

Next, the same shot, but at f/8 so we can see the change in bokeh.
flowers_f8.jpg

Here's a tulip at f/2.8 (good bokeh behind it)
tulip3_f28.jpg

And the same shot but at f/8
tulip3_f8.jpg

Here are 2 more shots of tulips at f/2.8 with some excellent creamy bokeh behind them.
tulip2_f28.jpg

tulip_f28.jpg

No post processing on these shots at all, just converted to .jpg in Capture NX and resized for the web. I've lusted for a nice f/2.8 zoom for a while now and I'm glad to finally have one.

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. I wonder why Nikon doesn't make a similar lens. It would make a mint Sigma does a good job in provide the missing ranges people really want.

I am a bit vary of Sigma because of reported problems with HSM on new cam models as sending a lens off to be rechipped etc is not a straightforward exercise for me where I live.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Pics are broken....but I had a 50-150mm Sigma (actually two) and returned both of them. Hopefully Nikon will produce something similar.

This is one of the top two lenses on my "to-get" lens, but pictures like these make me want to move it up to number 1. The bokeh on those last two pics looks great!

Thanks for sharing and making me want one so badly!

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. I wonder why Nikon doesn't make a similar lens. It would make a mint Sigma does a good job in provide the missing ranges people really want.

I am a bit vary of Sigma because of reported problems with HSM on new cam models as sending a lens off to be rechipped etc is not a straightforward exercise for me where I live.

I'm not sure why they don't make a more compact lens that is in this range as this lens is ideal for pro sporting events. I just took it to a minor league hockey game tonight and am downloading the pictures now. I'll post them later to let you all see this guy during some real action.

I was a bit wary of Sigma also as I owned the old 70-300 APO DG Macro lens and it was anything but sharp. This lens is built much better and so far the IQ of it is pretty good. Then again it is a f/2.8 constant aperture lens which I think makes it a better lens right out of the box.

Here are some shots from the local hockey game I attended on Friday night with the Sigma 50-150. All at f/2.8.

gladiators1.jpg

gladiators10.jpg

gladiators6.jpg

These aren't the greatest shots, but that's no fault of the lens, but my fault. They're all at ISO 200 and I should have at least jumped to ISO 400 to give me a little faster shutter speed. That, and I was having a hard time following the action from my seat and thus lost the focus quite a bit and ended up focussing on the background. However, the compactness of this lens made it very portable. I think I'm going to really enjoy it.

Here are a couple more shots from this lens and I will be done posting examples (unless somebody wants to see something in particular).

150mm; f/4; 1/320s
sig150_f4.jpg

150mm; f/4; 1/400s
sig50-150_f4.jpg

Dave, I'd like to see some wide open samples at 150mm.

Thanks

I'll try to get out and take some this afternoon. The Hockey shots are wide open at 150mm, but not in the greatest of light. It looks like the sun is out today, so it will be a good day to go shooting if I can get away from the office.

This lens is getting great, if not frequent, reviews and is said to be a mini version of the highly regarded 70-200/2.8 EX HSM. I am not surprised to see that you like it so much and your pics are terrific.

As a bit of an OT aside - the new (well, relatively new) 70/2.8 EX macro is said to be a smaller version of the superb 150/2.8 EX macro and equally good.

G

Gr8Tr1x

As a bit of an OT aside - the new (well, relatively new) 70/2.8 EX macro is said to be a smaller version of the superb 150/2.8 EX macro and equally good.

I owned the 70mm 2,8 briefly, and it was very very sharp. I also own the 150mm Sigma and itsa real performer too. I sold the 70mm in favor of buying a 105mm VR. The 70mm is amazing though IMO, and a real bargain at roughly $350.

Here are a couple of more f2.8 shots with the 50-150:

150mm f/2.8
turkey_vulture3.jpg

150mm f/2.8
turkey_vulture2.jpg

Some post processing on these as the lighting was really bad. Here are some more examples of this lens.

150mm f/8
khoi_vette.jpg

50mm f/8
sig50150-50f8.jpg

85mm f/8
sig50150-85f8.jpg

The last 3 pictures above were straight out of the camera RAW files converted to .jpg in NX.

I'll try to grab some more f/2.8 examples at different focal lengths today since the sun is actually shining.

Here are some more f/2.8 shots at 150mm (they are of birds, sorry it's all I have to shoot around the house).

blackbrownbird3.jpg

mhawkfinch2.jpg

redfinch2.jpg

Dave, this looks like a great performing lens and very tempting. There had been some reports of softness with this lens under certain circumstances. I believe it was reported as soft wide open at maximum focal length and minimum shooting distance. Have you experienced this and/or do you have a close shots wide open at 150?

I don't have many close shots wide open, but all of the bird pictures in the last post were at 150mm @ f/2.8. I applied just a minor touch of sharpening to them in NX, but only to give them a little more pop. If you have a test you'd like me to perform to really show the sharpness, let me know and I'll see if I can't make it happen today since it's nice and sunny out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom