Sigma 50-150 or Nikon 70-300 VR?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Aug 6, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I have the Nikon 80-400 VR and Nikon 80-200 AF-D. I love both for bvey high IQ. I also have the 18-200 VR for casual shooting.

I wanted a goos quality lightweight telephoto zoom. The Sigma 50-150 or the Nikon 70-300 VR coms to mind. I know one is fast and the other has VR and there is obvious FL difference. I also like to shoot wide open most of the time.
    Which would you recommend? Why?

2. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I meant I tend to use the fastest aperture available on a lens so as not to bump up iso and maintain a good shutter speed.

I know the about VR vs. speed...I am interested in wide open optical quality of both the lenses..sharpness, contrast, color etc.

Every lens gets better when stopped down.

You are right, I am mainly looking for a smaller tele zoom, that I can always carry with me and not intimidate people or have a sore hand. I do have the 18-200 and I like the lens very much for what purpose it serves but the pure IQ leaves me wanting for more.

Are you saying that the 70-300 VR PQ is very similar to the 18-200?

3. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    This is the answer I was looking for. :smile:
    Would you please elaborate what exactly you mean by this and why do you think the 70-300 is superior to the 50-150?:confused: