Sigma 50-150 or Nikon 70-300 VR?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Aug 6, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I have the Nikon 80-400 VR and Nikon 80-200 AF-D. I love both for bvey high IQ. I also have the 18-200 VR for casual shooting.

I wanted a goos quality lightweight telephoto zoom. The Sigma 50-150 or the Nikon 70-300 VR coms to mind. I know one is fast and the other has VR and there is obvious FL difference. I also like to shoot wide open most of the time.
    Which would you recommend? Why?

2. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I meant I tend to use the fastest aperture available on a lens so as not to bump up iso and maintain a good shutter speed.

I know the about VR vs. speed...I am interested in wide open optical quality of both the lenses..sharpness, contrast, color etc.

Every lens gets better when stopped down.

You are right, I am mainly looking for a smaller tele zoom, that I can always carry with me and not intimidate people or have a sore hand. I do have the 18-200 and I like the lens very much for what purpose it serves but the pure IQ leaves me wanting for more.

Are you saying that the 70-300 VR PQ is very similar to the 18-200?

3. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    This is the answer I was looking for. :smile:
    Would you please elaborate what exactly you mean by this and why do you think the 70-300 is superior to the 50-150?:confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.