Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 II

My thoughts are I wish Nikon would make an FX version 50-150 f4 AFS ED-IF VR. I may be one of only 3 living wierdos who think one of these would make great walkabout glass for FF cameras, so I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 for DX - No Nikon Equivalent

"My thoughts are I wish Nikon would make an FX version 50-150 f4 AFS ED-IF VR. I may be one of only 3 living wierdos who think one of these would make great walkabout glass for FF cameras, so I'm not holding my breath."

Agree.
Full-frame, it would be the 1:1 'equivalent' of a 50-150mm for FX... Our old 'normal' 50mm to a 3power 150mm (~= our old film 135mm) telephoto.

It should not be too stressful for Nikon to make it G, constant f/2.8, AFS, VR. Certainly a lens that can be produced with reasonable weight - and hand-holdable, and a new profit center for Nikon. But Make It f/2.8 At All Focal Lengths.

Then, Mr. Nikon - Make one for my DX bodied D300/D80 like Sigma did.

_OH_... Never Mind.
Sigma already did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally succumbed to the Sigma 50-150 (Ver. I) today.

I shoot gymnastics and I'm going to try it on my D3 in DX mode for those times when the 200vr is too long.
I know I'll take a hit on megapixels, but it's been a while since Sports Illustrated was banging on my door requesting an image for a centerfold shot. :biggrin:
Even in DX mode, I'll still have more mp's than what my beloved D2HS bestowed upon me. Nikon just doesn't have a suitable fast focus/fast aperture prime below 200mm.
I just hope the 50-150 is sharp wide open and that the AF is adequate.

I'll also use the 50-150 as part of my light carry/travel kit, as I sold off my 70-300vr to fund its purchase.

John,

Excellent capture of some beautiful creatures.

I finally succumbed to the Sigma 50-150 (Ver. I) today.

I shoot gymnastics and I'm going to try it on my D3 in DX mode for those times when the 200vr is too long.
I know I'll take a hit on megapixels, but it's been a while since Sports Illustrated was banging on my door requesting an image for a centerfold shot. :biggrin:
Even in DX mode, I'll still have more mp's than what my beloved D2HS bestowed upon me. Nikon just doesn't have a suitable fast focus/fast aperture prime below 200mm.
I just hope the 50-150 is sharp wide open and that the AF is adequate.

I'll also use the 50-150 as part of my light carry/travel kit, as I sold off my 70-300vr to fund its purchase.

John,

Excellent capture of some beautiful creatures.
Thanx for your kudos, Glenn; The thoroughbreds ARE beautiful creatures.

I thought that the purchase of this lens was equivalent to about 400 $2.00 wagers. Since I rarely bet (and usually break even OR LOSE on the day when I do), I'm WAY ahead buying this lens!

This lens is just being broken in here, but I'm more than pleased with its output at varied apertures. I selected f/4 at Belmont for obvious reasons, but wide open it's snappier than I expected.

I'm thinking that your gymnastics shots will be satisfying. Let us know.

Best...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've liked this lens enough so far to part with my Nikkor 180 F2.8. Not that the Sigma is a better overall lens, but the IQ is close enough that the flexibility of a zoom won out for me. The 50-150 II is a pleasure to use, my only complaint so far has been a bit more CA than I can ignore when stopped down at the long end, but that's what PP is for.

Just re-read this comment of yours, after my initial skim/gather data:

"... but it's been a while since Sports Illustrated was banging on my door requesting an image for a centerfold shot."

I'll carry that statement throughout the weekend... and probably through the rest of my days. Perfect and repeatable.

I have been pleased with my version I lens...

...for people pictures. I was less sucessful with landscape shots with it. On my recent vacation, at F8-11, I think the Nikon 18-200vr was producing sharper and more contrasty shots of scenes. Pictures of my kids the Sigma 50-150 excels!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

F2.8

F2.8

F2.8

F11

Wonderful shots, Alan. I especially like the battle of the brothers image. They'll each have that framed in their dens or offices in 25+ years. :biggrin:

Thanks Glenn...

You'll have to let me know if you end up missing the 70-300vr...I like the 50-150/2.8, but miss the longer reach and VR.

Not ready to spend the big money on the 70-200vr (and converters) or go for a Siggy 120-300/2.8. One day when the kids are doing sports I will want tele.

Wonderful shots, Alan. I especially like the battle of the brothers image. They'll each have that framed in their dens or offices in 25+ years. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom