Sigma 500/4.5 does the moon...

....with a 1.4xTC to boot!!

Frankly, I didn't expect good results with this. I have traditionally stripped to the most basic elements when shooting the moon.. No TC, no filters..just lock 'er down in the ball head and fire away.

Last night, Sigma 500/4.5 with Sigma 1.4xTC. D300. Mounted in a Sidekick in a Markins M20 etc..

Even at this light level, the modifications to TC allowed AF to work fine. I was doing some shooting in the yard earlier and forgot I had dialed in some -EV, and again..was only taking the moon images half heartedly so I forgot to reset the EV Comp...

Focal Length: 500mm + 1.4xTC (700 effective)
F-Number: F/6.3
Exposure Time: 1/80
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Program: Manual
Compensation: -2.0
ISO Speed: 200
20080821_MAM9543-vi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mind if we see a 100% crop for all of us pixel peepers? :smile:

Thanks all!! I'm pretty happy with the 500 at this point!

David... I don't mind at all. But here's the thing.. I don't know how to do 100% crop in Lightroom. If you can tell me how, or if you want the full image, I'll send it to you..but it might be too large to email.

This is a slight crop, contrast and clarity adjustments and a tweak of sharpening..all in Lightroom.

I have Elements, but rarely use it.. if you can tell me how to do it, I'll gladly post it up.

Actually hoping to improve this shot tonight. I didn't use mirror lock-up, nor did I bean bag the lens.. Both might offer a dramatic improvement.

Latest threads

Top Bottom