Sigma 500s

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by StL_Don, Dec 17, 2005.

1. The Sigma 500 / 4.5 lenses have stirred my LL which has been in check for quite a while. It's easy with the 500 AFS II since it is so expensive, but these Sigmas are in reach.

I've come across the 500mm f/4.5 EX APO HSM in great condition for under $2,700. I had thought that the new DG version just had fancier coating and a $4,200 tag... then I got digging deeper and it really is a different lens having one more lens element and one more ounce of weight.

Whatcha think, is the new design better? Am I going to curse the .5 stop when I mount a TC-14? Am I even going to be able to mount the TC-14?

Psycologically speaking, and from past experience, I much prefer Nikon glass - but then I've never had any high-end 3rd party glass.

There's always the option of being patient (which I'm not good at) and hunt for a nice used AFS II at a good price.

Thanks for the advice,
    Don

2. Where did you find the specs that show the new one has different elements? I'll have to go dig my spec sheet out, but I am pretty sure the coating is the only difference. There was an older version, that was not HSM, which did have a different configuration.

As to differences, all I can say is that those of us who use the lens are not unhappy. I use mine with my TC-14E all the time, works like a charm. Remember that you do have to modify the TC-14.

So, could you point me to those specs please? I'd like to check.

By the way, even Sigma told me that the coating was the only difference.

Thanks,

3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Sigma

Sigma told me the same thing - the only difference that the DX versions have is improved coating.

4. From the B&H product listings.

DG version
    Filter Size 46mm rear drop-in[​IMG]
    f/Stop Range 4.5-32[​IMG]
    Minimum Focus Distance 13.2' (4 m)[​IMG]
    Magnification 1:7.7[​IMG]
    Angle of View 5 Degrees[​IMG]
    Groups/Elements 9/12[​IMG]
    Tripod Collar Yes
    [​IMG]Length 13.7" (350mm)[​IMG]
    Maximum Diameter 4.8" (123mm)
    [​IMG]Weight 6.9 lb (3.1 kg)

-------------------------------------------

Original version
    Filter Size 46mm Rear drop-in
    [​IMG]f/Stop Range 4.5-32[​IMG]
    Minimum Focus Distance 13.2' [​IMG]
    Magnification 1:7.7[​IMG]
    Angle of View 5 Degrees
    [​IMG]Groups/Elements 8/11
    [​IMG]Tripod Collar Yes[​IMG]
    Length 13.7"
    [​IMG]Maximum Diameter 4.9"
    [​IMG]Weight 6.80 lb

Don

5. update

I think B&H may be wrong.
    I've been scouring around the web and several reviews of the non-DG say 9 group/12 element.

Best I've found for the DG is $3,799 @ Adorama, and 2,649 for non-DG used. The used one doesn't have the polarizer filter, but I don't usually use them with teles.

What is the modification?
    Does AF work? I've used my 300/f:4 AFS with a tc-17 and if the light is good AF will work, so I'd think the Sigma should work with the 14.

I'm headed to FL in about 10 days and am really really tempted to bite on one of these. I can't hardly find a negative word written about them.

Thanks,
    Don

6. Hey, Don, I was just about to post a couple of those links for you. My suspicion is that the "old" version B&H is talking about is the even-older-non-HSM version, which optically is supposed to still be very good.

As to the used lens, I don't understand how they could lose the polarizer, how dumb, but I only very occasionally use mine either. The price is not bad for the used one, I am very glad to see them holding price that well.

Here is the link to the TC-14E Modification. It is really quite easy to do, just be careful in aligning the spacers when you are putting things back together. For some strange reason, my Sigma 1.4TC will not AF with this lens, and the Sigma chart shows MF only with TC's on the lens. But AF is just grand with the TC-14E.

Be aware that there is an issue now with the D200 and Sigma lenses, in that the AF-On button on the back will not activate the AF, only the shutter release will. I suspect that Sigma will have to re-chip the lenses and I don't know what that cost will be. I also don't know why Nikon would have changed this on the D200 only, but I'm going to ask them on Monday.

I don't think the Sigma will disappoint you and the price is right.

Let us know what you decide.

7. Be aware that there is an issue now with the D200 and Sigma lenses, in that the AF-On button on the back will not activate the AF, only the shutter release will. I suspect that Sigma will have to re-chip the lenses and I don't know what that cost will be. I also don't know why Nikon would have changed this on the D200 only, but I'm going to ask them on Monday.

I don't think the Sigma will disappoint you and the price is right.

Let us know what you decide.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bill I think it's only an issue if you use it, as I do not with any of my bodies I always use the shutter release as I have very limited movement in my hands I am unable to reach the AF on button whilst holding the camera.

Phillip.