Sigma 50mm 1.4 vs Nikon 50mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gofast, Sep 20, 2008.

1. The Nikkor 50mm 1.4 has been on my short list for awhile, but now after seeing some samples of the Sigma version, I'm leaning towards Sigma.
    I currently have the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and we all know how well this lens holds itself against its "bigger" sibling the 1.4.

Now my question is how does it hold it's own against the Sigma 50mmm 1.4.
    Being that the Nikon 50mm 1.8 is so cheap, mostly everyone has owned one.

So let the owners of the Sigma speak out with comparisons, again, the question would be, is the extra stop worth it?
    Posting shots to compare is recommended :biggrin:

Here's my sample of the Nikon 50mm 1.8, taken indoors without a flash at 1.8
    It's one of the reasons I've not bought the Nikkor 50mm 1.4

[​IMG]

2. Based on the samples I've seen from the Sigma and having owned and really enjoyed the 50 1.8, there's no question that the Sigma wins. Much nicer bokeh and sharp @ 1.4 (which enhances that 3D feels vs. a less sharp lens).

This puts the Sigma ahead of the Nikon 1.4. The Nikon 1.4 is not a great lens, that's why so many opt for the 1.8. Sigma is a different story.

3. bigshot

bigshot

Aug 17, 2008
    Hollywood, USA
    I took my Sigma out after work last night... you can see the results on my blog, Late Night Coffee Shops. I'm not entirely happy with the shots, not because of the lens- which performed like a champ- but because I have gotten so used to having VR, I don't hold as steady as I should. I've just gotten lazy I guess.

My initial impression of the Sigma is that it is plenty sharp, even wide open. Vignetting on my D200 is zilch. Exposure is fine, and the bokeh is beautiful. The focusing is fast, quiet and accurate- one of the best focusing lenses I own.

But I don't think I'd recommend the Sigma if you already have a Nikon 1.8. Even though the Sigma is probably sharper, has better bokeh and it's a tiny bit faster, I doubt the difference would be striking enough to dump the perfectly good lens you have and spend another $500 on a slightly better one.

Hope this helps
    Steve