1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Reviewed on DPR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Big Daddy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    That looks pretty good. I don't think I would pay that much for a 50mm though. Ever.

2. Solid lens, I'm probably going to pick it up :)  Who can't deny that large front element!!

But seriously, I am still blown by the 30mm's cost / performance. One the 40mm drops to the $400 range I'm going to pick one up as well.

3. Looks very interesting, still not sure if im to wait for the new rumored Nikkor (I have a sigma on pre-order) or not.

For my intended purpose it will do just fine, wich is family snaps of the kids near wide open. For corner to corner sharpness i have alot of other choices when it comes to 50mm.

4. If/when the Nikon AF-S 50/1.4 drops, we'll probably see plenty of people paying even more for a 50mm ...

But I agree, it's not in my budget. My 50/1.4 was $220 used.

It does look like an intriguing lens, though.

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
  6. I'm waiting for this lens (or the Nikon version) for indoor basketball. The Sigma 30f1.4 I have is good, but has too much DOF when I'm shooting from the baseline, always get the crowd in focus along w/ the player...

But I want/need that HSM (AFS) which is nice, esp as I don't shoot flash for basketball.

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Wouldn't an 85mm prime be a better choice paired up with the Dirty Thirty? I'm using an 85/1.8

8. I also wonder how directly comparable the graphs are when comparing a lens shot with a Canon body vs. a Nikon body. Photozone has warnings all over the place about how not to compare their test results across different systems. Differing anti-alias filters, sensors, image engines, etc.

Not sure if DPR's methodology is as susceptible.

Still, I have no doubt the new Sigma performs better in most respects than the older designs.

9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    ditto

10. no, too long from the baseline, and, being screw driven, too slow to focus for fast action. I do use it for tip-off at mid-court tho', does very well.

11. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    THis lens might convince me to get a D40, I can pass my D50 on to my sister along with the Nikon 50mm 1.4. Wait and see what Nikon comes out with and see what people think of this thing before I make that call though.

12. Looks like a nice lens, but I'll wait and see what Nikon comes out with before considering buying the Sigma.

13. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Looks like a decent lens, and Sigma is creating lenses which used to be the domain of the Nikon, Canon etc. But a 50/1.4 lens with a 77mm filter?? I guess it would work well for those with other 77mm pro lenses like the 24-70 and 70-200, but it's as big as 85/1.4 lenses. The Olympus OM 50/1.4 had a 49mm filter!

14. Finally! somebody looking at this "objectively":biggrin:

15. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    it pays off in terms of reducing the vignetting wide open. i've also read that the actual focal length of this lens is something like 45mm, it's significantly wider than the other 50mm primes.

16. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Well, the Nikon 50mm primes are actually 51.6mm ...

17. Hi Paul,

Wouldn't your Zeiss 50mm f/2 do the job? Do you really have the need for the extra stop if you're shooting with a D3 and the Zeiss 50mm f/2?

18. KG72

KG72 Guest

Will be interesting to see how this compares to Nikon's updated 50mm f/1.4... if/when it ever arrives.

I don't plan on making a decision until then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.