Sigma 70-200 2.8

When I got home from work today, the package was waiting for me. I ripped it open and there she was. A new Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens. All packaged up and snuggled in between layers of bubble wrap. What a beast she is...all 3+ pounds of her. What a beautiful sight...looking through the viewfinder with a 2.8 lens attached to the other end. I thought the Nikon 18-200 was a large lens. I was wrong. I know what I will be doing on my days off next week...Can you say PHOTO SHOOT?

If you decide you do not like it because it is SIGMA just repackage and send it my way.........I about fell off my chair when I unpacked my D300 + 18-200 and saw just how small the 18-200 really was....sitting next to my Minolta Mount 70-210f2.8........
the Siggy dwarfs the Nikon 18-200:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hope you love yours as much as I have loved using mine and do every 3 or 4 years have it relubricated or one day as you have that money shot you will hear a loud grinding noise and then the AF comes to a halt..........:eek::eek: not fun.....learned the hardway over 20 yrs ago.....................:rolleyes:

...sitting next to my Minolta Mount 70-210f2.8 (...)have it relubricated or one day as you have that money shot you will hear a loud grinding noise and then the AF comes to a halt
You mean The Beercan? That's an f/4 lens - although it's still large and heavy - they don't make'm like that anymore. The f/2.8 lens is a 'regular' 70-200

As for the lubrication: most of the helicoids are made of self-lubricating plastics, and HSM uses piezoelectric motors that are direct drive and don't have the gears that old fashioned screwdriver AF has. I'm not saying it doesn't need to be lubricated but it's less than an issue with modern lenses.

Here's a schematic of how it works:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Source: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)

EDIT: I also found a page that describes the inner works of a Canon 28-105 USM Lens - very insightful for the amount of "moving parts" that ultrasonic wave motors introduce. Linky

I used my D200 with the Nikon 18-200 on a cheep tripod. Now that I sold the 18-200 and got the Sigma 70-200, I feel the need for a more stable tripod. With the lighter lens, the cheep tripod was ok but not now. That 70-200 2.8 is a monster compaired to the 18-200. It never ends...:biggrin:

You know when I got my Nikon 70-200vr 2.8 I thought that it was big too. After shooting with your lens for a while you will get use to it. It wil not seem as big after using it for a while. It will draw attention to you though when you take it out. Happy shoting !!!!:biggrin:

When I got home from work today, the package was waiting for me. I ripped it open and there she was. A new Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens. All packaged up and snuggled in between layers of bubble wrap. What a beast she is...all 3+ pounds of her. What a beautiful sight...looking through the viewfinder with a 2.8 lens attached to the other end. I thought the Nikon 18-200 was a large lens. I was wrong. I know what I will be doing on my days off next week...Can you say PHOTO SHOOT?

I used my D200 with the Nikon 18-200 on a cheep tripod. Now that I sold the 18-200 and got the Sigma 70-200, I feel the need for a more stable tripod. With the lighter lens, the cheep tripod was ok but not now. That 70-200 2.8 is a monster compaired to the 18-200. It never ends...:biggrin:
Yep thats the way it goes,:smile: one need leads to another need, search up some tripod threads, there is a lot of good info here.

Loose, Footloose, put on your Sunday shoes.
Your going to enjoy this lens. This is one from my copy wide open. EXIF should be intact. (disclaimer, I thought I was in aperture mode)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great lens. I have the older non-macro version and really enjoy it.

Pure Jazz: Do you live near Lehi? Great night time shot of the mill.

Yes it's the flour mill. It's not isolated with fields anymore like it was in the movie. I was in Lehi at a meeting and just had to pull off the road for a picture or two.

I like this lens. It's served me well.

Back in the old Minolta days the sigma 70-210 f2.8 was superb, often thaught of getting one for the Nikons but the 100-300 came up and at the time i had the sigma 50-150 f2.8.
Enjoy the new lens.

You had best post a armload of shots for me! That lens is my next acquisition ... a ways off, but next up none the less!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom