1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 II ex DG Macro HSM....warranty

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Type X, Jun 30, 2008.

1. I picked this lens up in March ( i think ) brand new from B&H
    due to some scheduling conflicts and just all around business I never shot with it.

Which is why i decided to sell it lol When the new buyer(here got it) he stated that it wasn't functional...
    So i fully refunded him & sent the thing back to Sigma

Turns out.. the HSM motor was toast & image rollers were replaced?

Personally i'm happy its fixed.... but kinda crappy that OUT OF THE BOX...it was messed up.

Is this how Sigma is in General? This was my first Sigma purchase and honestly i'm kind of "vanilla" on them now
    BUT the turn around was great =D already on the way back to my house

Sent 6-20
    back in my hands Today 6-30 so only 5-6 business days =D

Or should i just chalk it up to bad luck lol

Also the woman at sigma said she THINKS the warranty is 4yrs? i could have sworn my papers at home said 1:Curved:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  2. I recently had a new lens go back to Sigma for front focus, and it ended up that the CPU needed to be replaced. I also recall that my former 70-200 had the rollers(whatever they are)replaced also.

It is a tough call. With the way QC is these days, sometimes you just have to be patient. One thing for certain though, Sigma personnel in Ronkonkoma LI are very nice. They have done many repairs free of charge for me that were out of warranty. Sometimes it takes perserverence and time, but they will try and get the job done...if it is possible:smile:

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Hey Mike I'm glad to see they took care of the problem for you. Now let me know when we're going out shooting!!!!

4. I'm ready. Take the Turnpike North to 17N to NYS Thruway to Goshen Exit. I'll meet you at the diner. I have a posse forming!

mike

PS...don't forget the pictures...of the Verrazano...not Sheepshead Bay!

5. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    GOSHEN????? That's like cross country from me. Hehe.

I'd LOVE to go shoot with you, but I was referring to Type X, he's only 5 minutes from me.

I have to get out one night this week and try my hand at night shots of the VZ with my tripod.

What's wrong with Sheepsheadbay shots? I grw up there. :biggrin:

6. Gosh... for a moment I was about to forgive siggy for their past sins and think about buying another glass from them. Well, I see that they are still having problems with their QC. It is very surprising, because in my experience most Japanese companies are very particular about quality and QA/QC issues... but siggy seems to be an exception. Too bad, some of their focal length and max. aperture combinations were something I was interested in.

7. Goshen. WOW. My first college girlfriend was from Goshen.

You Cafe guys/girls are everywhere. :biggrin::biggrin:

8. Thanks bud, i got back from Vegas last night but will be setting something up in a few weeks

On the brightside now i have the 70-200 for my Micronesia Trip:Love:

9. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Nice!! Let me know when you're available.

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I believe Sigma gives an extended warranty on USA EX DG lenses. Your problem is isolated, there are many satisfied Sigma users.

11. my 150 2.8 went in for probs AFing on the d3....came back a month latter still with probs
    no more sigma-s for me...nikon only from now on

12. Gone thru the exact same thing with Sigma. Quite frankly, also with Nikon.

These days, you need to check for focus problems immediately after you buy the lens.

I once had a focus problem with my Sigma mount 70-200 on my SD10 Sigma camera. The problem was confirmed by Sigma Long Island. They could not fix it. Had to go to Japan. Camera & lens were gone for over a month. It came back with the focus point just barely skimming the zone of accurate focus at F2.8. This was all thru the range. So stopped down a bit was good. And no charge....such is life:smile:

Mike

13. the diff w/ sigma is old lenses on new nikon bodies, i always wonder if they will work

14. I had some issues with a 50-500 and they changed out just about everything. Now works stellar. All of my other Sigmas work fine. No problems real or imagined.

15. I just got my first Sigma and I am very happy with it - the build quality is great

This lens was supposed to be known for a front focus issue, but I checked it by taking pics and also using a focus chart - all was good

Hopefully this was an isolated incident for you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.