Sigma 70-200 for the rest of us ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Elf_8, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Yeah, lens lust for the rest of us... Just got the Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM. These are from yesterday and today and still experimenting a lot handholding.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70
    2005/06/04 16:23:02.9
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Lens: 70-200mm F/2.8 D
    Focal Length: 200mm
    Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/320 sec - F/4.5
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Direct sunlight
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70
    2005/06/03 20:30:36.1
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Lens: 70-200mm F/2.8 D
    Focal Length: 200mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/250 sec - F/5
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

2. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, those are some fantastic shots! This is really making me reconsider the 70-200mm nikkor VR lens. :)

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I love my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM EX

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow, as I was scrolling down, I thought the squirrel pic was really nice, but then when I got to the lower half of the sunset ... That's an excellent photo!

Congrats on the lens. It'll compliment your style well!

5. Apparently That Sigma lens was breaking Nikon's legs. It's been said somewherem, as fact, that Nikon HAD to come out with a 70-200 VR because the 80-200 wasn't up to par.

If sigma has one Pro lens, this is it (not to mention the superb 20, 24 and 28 1.8 lenses and some others that are still untouched, no matter what Nikon purists might say or think, me included :wink: )

6. Wow, the shots are great! especially #2!

If my shop wouldn't have screwed my order, one year ago, I would have it too, instead of my 70-200 VR!

Please keep posting your captures with that Lens!

7. Wow the second one is magnificent. Christian this week is the time to take some shot of the moon, for all the week the moon look a lot bigger than normal according to Jocelyne Blouin.

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

These pictures answer the question posed in another thread "Sigma on a Nikon?" - nice!

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    hope you keep posting pictures

I am researching which zoom lens I want to buy. Please keep sharing pictures from this lens. I am interested in seeing what it can do.

10. Thanks for sharing your interest.
    After a couple of shootouts with the lens, I can say I like its sharpness and the quality of its bokeh. Fucusing exactly on the subject is the challenge though. AF on the D70 may not be the best under all circumstances, and I resolved to use manual focus most of the time. Not really easy given the small and dark viewfinder of the D70 (compared to the F80 that I also have).
    Not having the VR is not a big minus for me - considering the price difference, as I do most of my work on landscapes with a tripod. Otherwise, I would be ready to push to ISO 800 and live with the noise rather than with a blur, using ISOProX from Fred Miranda to clean the noise out.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Christian,

Nice shots. That lens is a bargain when compared to the Nikon VR version (which I have). I almost got it, but let myself become convinced that the VR was better. The VR is good, but I'm sure not twice as good. :roll:

12. Re: hope you keep posting pictures

Terri, here is another one with the same lens, but under very different conditions : tripod, 70 mm, and f13.

[​IMG]

13. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    I'm still confused whether or not to get the Sigma 70-200 as opposed to the Nikon 70-200. Though it's a given the Sigma won't be as good, even if its 80% as good as the Nikon, I'll have to give it a good look long and hard at it.

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Re: hope you keep posting pictures

Thanks for showing me another picture. I will watch for more from you.

15. Wow Christian. What an awesome moonrising shot :!: The Sigma 70-200mm HSM is a very nice lens indeed. Thanks for sharing.

16. Ah ha ! :roll: This is the sun setting, on Papineau, looking north (well, obviously looking west).

17. Brew

Brew Guest

The only reason I sold mine is for the VR so I could hand hold and shoot sports. It is a great lens as you have shown proof of!! Nice capture.

18. Ah ha ! :roll: This is the sun setting, on Papineau, looking north (well, obviously looking west).[/quote]

Shame on me and my mistake :oops:. I remember a moonrising over Cap Breton looking from the south-east end of Prince Edwards island. The moon is as big as and almost as red as the sun in your picture. With the fishboats lights dancing on the waves of dark Northumberland straight, it was a stunning scenic.

19. Shame on me and my mistake :oops:. I remember a moonrising over Cap Breton looking from the south-east end of Prince Edwards island. The moon is as big as and almost as red as the sun in your picture. With the fishboats lights dancing on the waves of dark Northumberland straight, it was a stunning scenic.[/quote]

I can imagine ! Can you share it?

20. I can imagine ! Can you share it?[/quote]

Christian, sadly, I'm afraid not be able to because it was in 1987 or 1988. Back then, I was a bad photographer (the kind of «just want to push on a button without thinking» ) shooting on film and now I really don't know where are either the negatives or the prints. What I also remember is my shots came out ugly, very very far from the real beauty.