Sigma 70-200 HSM CPU problems

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been shooting with my new (used) Sigma 70-200 HSM for a few days now, and I mounted it this morning on my D70, shot some photos at the Botanical Gardens, and halfway through the day, I got an "EE" error. I checked that it was locked into F32 and that was fine... I mounted my 50mm and it was fine... tried the Sigma again, and got the same error. I tried it on a 2nd D70 with the same problem, so I think I've ruled out the camera. Seems like the CPU contacts aren't working completely. They look fine, and are perfectly clean.

I'm going to contact KEH in the morning and see about replacing or refunding the lens. I think it came with a 60 day warranty, and since it's only day 4 or 5 and it stopped working, I hope they'll cover it.

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Is it the Macro and brand new? Then it's probably a lens fault, although if you haven't yet try updating your D70 firmware to its latest version (2.0 I believe?)

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    This is the non-macro version. I got it from KEH so it's used but appears to be in good condition. The glass and body were in great shape. CPU contacts are hard to check to see if they're in good condition beyond making sure they're all there.

I'm going to call KEH in a little bit and try to sort it out.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Some of these lenses need upgrading to work on newer Nikon bodies, your one may not have been upgraded. Sigma will do the work for free IIRC.

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Well what I discovered after mounting it on a D100 at work and fiddling with it a little bit was that the aperture ring won't stay in the F32 position even if it's locked in place. If you wiggle it around you can get the lens to function but it won't stay in place.

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Seems faulty, return it.

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Contacted KEH, and they're going to swap it out with a 80-200 F2.8 push/pull. Hopefully that'll work out better for me.

8. Keep in mind that the Nikkor push/pull will not focus nearly as fast as the Sigma. IQ is great though.

9. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    For the few days I had the Sigma... I loved the focus speed. The accuracy wasn't 100% nor was the sharpness at 200mm. From what I'm gathering, the Nikon will be better throughout the entire range. The Sigma's ~6ft focusing also bothered me after using the 70-210's that all focus down to ~4ft. The push/pull is ~4.6ft.

I think the slower focus is a better tradeoff than sharpness at the end of the lens especially taking into account what I normally shoot.