1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 70-200 macro II

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mematsu, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Found a pretty good deal on one. Anyone use it and would care to comment? It is the most recent version.

Thanks.

2. ecalcagnino

ecalcagnino

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago Area
    I just bought one from Amazon during the one day sale at $762 next-day shipped... and it's going back. It's fast on my D200 but not "MAN that's fast" which is what I was hoping for. IQ was nice, a bit of AF hunting in low light, 2.8 is a bit soft at the extremes. For the money it would be my choice hands-down but I think I am going to pick up a 70-200VR instead. Good luck to you!

Eric

3. Spydweb

Spydweb Guest

I just purchased the older model, and as said above soft wide open, for me to soft, going back today.
    Please note there are many examples of this lens sharp at all stops.

4. I have the newest version and am very happy with it. I guess I must be less of a pixel peeper because I fell my images shot wide open look fine. It is minimally softer at f/2.8, but you have to view the image at 100% crop to notice it. It is at it's sharpest from f/4 to f/11. I have used it on both a D300 and D70s with great results. The 1.4x tc works great with it with no drop off in image quality.

I find the AF very fast, enough to use shooting sports with no problems. I had an old screw drive Tokina 80-200/2.8 that took forever to AF compared to the Sigma.

The Nikon 70-200VR is a better lens wide open, but for almost a grand more you would expect it to be. If you don't need VR, I find the Sigma a nice alternative.

5. ecalcagnino

ecalcagnino

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago Area
    I'll add to my comment above by saying that I also have an 80-200 AF-D two-ring and like that better than the Sigma as well. Far better overall feel to the shots and I thought it was faster. Might be a good find at KEH.

Eric

6. I went thru many copies of the Version II. Soft wide open, non repairable front focus.

I would recommend testing thoroughly, especially if you like shooting at F4 and wider.

BTW, I just read Phil's Dpreview of this lens. It seems like his review mimics my findings. BTW, I had brought one of my copies to Sigma for calibration. It came back unsatisfactory for my likings.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_n15/

mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.