Showcase Sigma 70-300mm APO

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by NateS, Aug 27, 2008.

1. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm starting this thread because this lens seems to get little to no love. It's ridiculously cheap at just over $200 and the quality is really superb for what it is. For anybody wanting the Nikon 70-300VR but is on a tight budget and can't quite get the extra cash together...this is a perfect lens.

Honestly, I'm not sure but what I would rather have my sigma over the Nikon VR. The Macro feature of this Sigma is amazing and until I get a true Macro lens, I couldn't live without this sucker..... Oh and the Bokeh is always flat out amazing for me.

So.....post your shots with the Sigma 70-300 APO so it can get some love.

Here's some of mine

2008-08-23_10-8x10web.jpg

2008-05-22_30web.jpg

2008-07-13_34-2.jpg

054a8956.jpg

d5588504.jpg

b1bdcf71.jpg

^^ And that's not even getting into the macro portion of this lens which is where it really shines. Post em up everybody. People on a budget need to know how good of a lens this Sigma can actually be.

2. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    Nice shots.

Subscribing because I'm considering this or the nikon 70-300mm ed for my next lens. How's the autofocus speed? Build quality (plastic or metal mount)?

Was the last photo of the elephant at 300mm sharpened in PP at all? Pretty sharp for one step down.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  3. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Build quality is actually quite good.....blows away the 18-55 kit lens. It's got Sigma's "rubberized" coating so it actually feels good to grip and hold.....plus it's not too heavy really (in my opinion). Autofocus speed is good.....much better than my 50mm f1.8, but it doesn't have a built in focus motor in the lens, so it's obviously going to be slower than an HSM or Nikon AF-S lens. Regarding the mount....um, I'm not sure what that means... Do you mean where it connects to the camera? Wouldn't it be plastic or metal? I honestly don't know and I'll have to check and get back to you.

Here's some of my shots with this lens in Macro mode....my favorite mode.

2008-08-10_11web.jpg

2008-08-17_91web.jpg

2008-07-26_17web.jpg

2008-07-19_6web.jpg

2008-07-19_26web.jpg

2008-07-19_31web.jpg

2008-07-19_11web.jpg

2008-07-16_14web.jpg

2008-07-16_36web.jpg

0a713955.jpg

2008-05-03_25.jpg

2008-05-03_29.jpg

2008-05-03_3.jpg

2008-04-26_35web.jpg

2008-04-26_6web.jpg

I'm sure a lot of you have seen all of these photos posted here before, but now people can associate them with the quality of this lens. I honestly believe this to be a bigger "sleeper" lens than the Nikon 70-300VR if the user learns to use proper technique.

4. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Oh, also being 1:2 at 300mm really gives you an awesome working distance so you don't have to worry about getting stung by a bee or bit by a spider. On the bee and butterfly pictures I'm probably a good 4-5 feet away. Obviously you'll have a smaller DOF at 300mm too, but you never shoot macro wide open and you really should be using an off camera flash to get the best results anyway. A lot of my Macro shots are at f/18 with the flash and I've even shot as high as f/29 with great results.

A high F/stop is not always required to get results though....the katydid shots were at f/8 whereas the second dandelion picture was at f/32. In macro mode it's really great through a large range.

5. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    Wow, I'm very impressed with the macro shots. Do you shoot those handheld?

On the mount, I meant to write plastic or metal... A glass mount wouldn't be too appealing I could imagine, LOL

6. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    On those macro shots, all of them except for the first two were handheld. I honestly could have done the first two without a tripod but both of those the insects weren't moving much so I had plenty of time. Using a tripod upped my keeper rate a bit, but I still get great shots handheld when using the SB-600 (whether on camera diffused or off camera with shoot through umbrella).

7. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    I have used this lens since Jan 2006, and can attest to it's high quality:price ratio. However, it should be noted that most of the images that have been taken were taken using a flash, which is the weakness of this lens - you really do need a lot of light. But, the IQ when you get adequate light is stellar. Sigma really has that purple fringing thing down pat, don't they?

On an aside: Nate, you say that your sigma focuses FASTER than your 50/1.8??? Wow - mine doesn't even come close, especially at 300 mm. Maybe I should get mine checked???

8. those look amazing, looks like you focused in from a few inches away! Are all those at 300mm focal length?

9. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    The only ones with flash were the Macros....all the normal shots were available light. Using a flash with Macro is a smart idea regardless of the lens. Even a lot of guys using the 105VR are using a flash for lighting so it's not really a crutch to the Sigma by using flash on the macros.

Okay....I guess that came across wrong about the focusing faster than the 50mm. Obviously the 50mm is going to lock faster since it has no such a shorter range for focusing, but if I am already in the proper focus range (as compared to the 50mm), it seems that the 70-300 can obtain focus as fast as the 50mm or faster. Hard to explain, but with this lens in macro mode, the focusing range is really large so it will obviously take it a bit to get to the end of that range.

Most of those are at 300mm yes. The Exif should be in tact on most or all of them if you want to see the focal range of a specific image.

10. Lately I've been consolidating lenses and this has left me with nothing longer than 200mm and nothing really approaching Macro. I've been leaning towards one of these to fill in both of these gaps at a low price. Can anyone compare the APO and cheaper non-APO version? Also, is there a petal hood available, or does the front element rotate? Thanks!

11. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    It comes with a nice lens hood though it's not the petal shaped one. The front element extends out with focusing but does not rotate.

12. Here are some photos taken in south-east Asia a few years back:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Nice photos Kees and thanks for adding them. I especially like that first one you posted.

14. Here's a shot from Puerto Rico from two years ago. I really haven't touched this lens in nearly 1 1/2 years. First I had an 80-200 AFS and now I have a Sigma 120-300. I'd like to sell this lens and get a 70-300 VR, which will be part of my travel kit.

This lens is quite good for the money.

289727572_2cb12994b3_o.jpg

15. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    I'm taking a look at this lens on KEH.com, and am kind of confused as to what the difference between these two are :

1. 70-300 F4-5.6 SIGMA APO MACRO D
    2. 70-300 F4-5.6 SIGMA APO MACRO D DG

Was the D the older model?? I can't seem to find any info on this...

16. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    My understanding is that the D is the older of the two, with the DG supposedly meaning that it was optimized for digital cameras. The optics are the same between the two.

The important thing is that it's the APO version - the non-APO isn't nearly as good.

17. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Subscribing so I remember to post my photos later!

18. atrawick

atrawick Guest

I have a Sigma 70-300mmD 4-5.6 APO DG and i can't get good quailty shots without some processing work. Course i am new and that may be the big problem!

19. The D is indeed the older model. The only difference between the DG and non-DG is the use of some special coatings to reduce reflections on the mount side of the lens. The optics are the same for both lenses.

20. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    Nice pics so far all. Here's a bump so I can see more.

What is the difference in IQ between this and the 70-300mm ED? Anyone compared the two or know of a link to somewhere that has?