1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro AF

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by zerocool, Sep 7, 2008.

1. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    anyone have this lens?
    know anything about it?

ive been in need of a 300mm for cheap and this seems the best buy i can i find....

2. I owned it for a while, bought it for $120 used
    sold it shortly after

The macro mode is alright indoors, with a tripod or flash's to light.
    however its AF is super slow at anything past 100mm, And if it misses focus (Which it often will) It hunts for almost 2 full seconds.
    I tried using it for birds and gave up.
    Image quality is alright, very low contrast though.

I would Save up for the Nikon 70-300VR, That is everything the sigma wants to be, but isn't.

3. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    All of these where shot with that lens, its decent, I got mine for free so I can complain, it does its job, great macro on it. The AF is slow, but i am a manual kind of guy so I can really care less. Id pick one up if you want cheap and good lens.

Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. the search engine is your friend

Search this forum for "70-300mm" within three months and you'll find several recent threads on this lens, with lots of pictures.

5. I own the lens but haven't been albe to get any decent images from it when handheld. I've just received the Nikkor 70-300VR and in an overcast situation outside I could shoot a sports game more easily (ie. with less bad exposures) with the Nikkor than with the Sigma.

However, on a decent tripod I was never dissapointed with the results of the Sigma.

6. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    arrrggg.... ...

well i would be using mostly for Birds, Animals, Sports and the like.,...... .... sigh dunno what to do ...

7. Roy, I see several options that are possible:

1. Check out the new Sigma 70-300 with focus motor and see how it behaves with tracking subjects

2. Check out the Nikkor 70-300VR. This is not the most ideal lens for fast sports (unless you're very familiar with the lens) but in general gets the job done

3. Go for a Sigma 70-200 (or maybe Sigma 100-300) and 1.4TC to get both reach and speed (HSM motor). It will cost you some more though...

I have both the 70-300VR and 70-200VR and use the former as a nice lightweight companion to my 18-70. The latter is used for action sports and with a 1.7TC for some minor birding.

8. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    well for sports, im mostly talking bout Baseball.... thats bout it... so far it looks like im looking to get the Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro AF w/ built in motor...so we will see how it goes ... yay me

i was looking around flickr and seeing some of the pics with it .. the look good soo we will see ... mostly will be used for birds and ducks thats bout all i need it for...

thanks all for the input

9. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    well i did it .. its on its way from B&H should be here the 12th according to them

10. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    How is the lens?

11. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    I initially bought the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro AF for my D40 and within a week changed it for the APO version. Was totally disappointed with its IQ.While the non-APO on its test run produced excellent& sharp images at its maximum zoom, the APO lens in similar conditions did not give the same output. And the less said about its focussing ability and speed, the better it is..

Maybe I was wrong.

Within two days of getting the APO, I returned it back and went in for the 70-300VR:smile:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.