Sigma 8-16mm 4.5-5.6 DC HSM + Nikon Z50 compatibility

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens and camera combo. I recently acquired a Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6. I tested it with my D7500 and Z50 and found certain issues. AF did not work on live view on the D7500, so I was forced to use the view finder or manually adjust focus, which was not really an issue. On the Z50 since the FTZ mount has no motor the AF also doesn't work.

My main question is; Will I have the same issue with the 8-16mm using live view on my D7500? And will it work with the Z50 since the lens technically has a motor and should work. Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens and camera combo. I recently acquired a Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6. I tested it with my D7500 and Z50 and found certain issues. AF did not work on live view on the D7500, so I was forced to use the view finder or manually adjust focus, which was not really an issue. On the Z50 since the FTZ mount has no motor the AF also doesn't work.

My main question is; Will I have the same issue with the 8-16mm using live view on my D7500? And will it work with the Z50 since the lens technically has a motor and should work. Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
I'd send Sigma an email and ask them. It's possible you might have to send the lens for a firmware update in order to gain FTZ compatibility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd send Sigma an email and ask them. It's possible you might have to send the lens for a firmware update in order to gain FTZ compatibility.
Do you think even old glass like those two wide angles will have pending updates? Thanks though for the tip.

There is an issue with older Sigma and Tamron lenses autofocusing on Nikon DSLRs using live view. My Tamron 90 macro is fine through the viewfinder, but will not focus with live view. Since the Z series are effectively live view all the time (EVF or back panel) you are likely to have a problem using older Sigma and Tamron lenses.
Sigma have issued a compatibility chart for Z7 here (can't find one for Z50, but it's compatibility is likely to be the same):
https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/nikon-z-compatibility-10-26-2018/

Note that they only list current lenses. Personally, I'd steer clear of obsolete Sigma lenses if I had a Z series body.

FWIW the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 and the 17-70 C are fine in live view on a D800 and D500

HTH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is an issue with older Sigma and Tamron lenses autofocusing on Nikon DSLRs using live view. My Tamron 90 macro is fine through the viewfinder, but will not focus with live view. Since the Z series are effectively live view all the time (EVF or back panel) you are likely to have a problem using older Sigma and Tamron lenses.
Sigma have issued a compatibility chart for Z7 here (can't find one for Z50, but it's compatibility is likely to be the same):
https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/nikon-z-compatibility-10-26-2018/

Note that they only list current lenses. Personally, I'd steer clear of obsolete Sigma lenses if I had a Z series body.

FWIW the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 and the 17-70 C are fine in live view on a D800 and D500

HTH
thank you, this is very helpful.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom