Sigma 80-400 OS Interesting Fact

Well I've been thinking of getting another lens, an 80-400 to expand my reach when shooting a new interest: wildlife...

Yes, the 80-400 isn't the best, but it fits the budget of around $1k and probably can be had cheaper if I search hard.

Regardless, I was checking out the Nikkor first, then noticed some comments on the Sigma website which leads me to believe the Sigma 80-400 OS lens has an internal motor, just not a HSM motor (like AF-S).

On the other hand, the Nikkor 80-400 VR is not an AF-S lens so it relies on the screw drive of the body...add to the fact I have a D70 which is slow to focus with the worm drive and...

The Sigma seems like a great choice and Sigma's OS is getting great reviews...

So my parting questions:

1. Sigma BIGMA or the fancy 80-400 OS lens, or even the Nikkor 80-400 VR...

2. What other combos can you recommend, in the 1k price range that would be viable options to #1?

Thanks for your time.

-Brett

faenix, you did read in my post the Sigma has OS and is getting great reviews??? OS = Optical Stabilization. From what I have read on Fred Miranda it seems to ourperform the VR...

Don't limit yourself to Nikkor glass only, for example just because Honda has the best quality and reliability doesn't mean Hyundai won't beat them (which by the way Hyundai does exactly that in nearly ALL JD Power and Carlisle surveys).

So, technically they both have "VR", call it VR, IS, or OS but they both have it...

It is okay to be biased but research all the facts to backup your bias!

Brett,

Interesting idea. I have been looking at the nikkor 80-400 and have not thought of the Sigma.

After I sale the 70-300 and tamron 28-300 DI I will be in the market for the 80-400.

I would be interested to hear what you decide on and use.

Ray

helmet155 said:
faenix, you did read in my post the Sigma has OS and is getting great reviews??? OS = Optical Stabilization. From what I have read on Fred Miranda it seems to ourperform the VR...

Don't limit yourself to Nikkor glass only, for example just because Honda has the best quality and reliability doesn't mean Hyundai won't beat them (which by the way Hyundai does exactly that in nearly ALL JD Power and Carlisle surveys).

So, technically they both have "VR", call it VR, IS, or OS but they both have it...

It is okay to be biased but research all the facts to backup your bias!

My bias towards Nikkors is that they usually tend to have a higher resale value than other brands. And for me as a college student, money is even harder to come by, I'd rather make a purchase of a decent investment for the future should the need arise to sell my equipment. But I digress...

No where in your post did you mention that OS was the VR equivalent. That's my mistake for being uninformed. I can see where you're coming from with the Honda vs Hyundai comparison, but I tend to think its slightly different. Nikkors are made by the people that bring you the bodies we so enjoy, and my bias comes from that.

If the reviews for the 80-400 OS are favorable and you decide to get it, all the more power to you. The choices on lens is different for everyone.

faenix, I am compelled to resond once again...to clarify some comments for future searches and members...

Just a quick perusal of ebay resale prices reveals some interesting facts:

Sigma 80-400 new: $959, sold used on ebay for $960

Nikkor 80-400 new: $1429, selling used on ebay for $1100-1200...Imported version, new: $1,250, ebay used: $990...

Yes this model is based on buying new then selling... Used purchase vs. Used sale down the road is something different I suppose...probably very similar though...

faenix said:
Back on topic, if the reviews were good for the 80-400 OS, then all the more power to you. After all its your money, hope that you'll enjoy the lens if you get it!

Given the resale it's a wash, thus the topic requesting information from photogs who may have researched and used the lenses in my message...

faenix said:
Nikkors are made by the people that bring you the bodies we so enjoy, and my bias comes from that.

Chong do you buy new or do you buy used Nikon equipment in general?

Hi Brett,

I recently purchased the Nikon 80-400VR to shoot with the D-70. I was shooting with the Nikon 70-300ED. For what it is worth, it appears that there is significantly less focus hunting with the 80-400VR than with the 70-300ED. I'm not sure if it is due to the larger apparent image with the extra 100mm or if it is easier to keep the image centered on the focus bracket due to the VR action. In any case I am pleased with the reduction in focus hunting and the resulting images.

I got a 70-200AFS VR and 1.7TC at the same time. Virtually no hunting makes you wish the 80-400 had AFS, but it does not.

I did consider tthe Sigma 80-400OS and I also understand that it has an internal, but non AFS type, focus motor. It would be nice to have a side-by-side comparison. This lens is also heavier than the Nikon VR.

Bob

http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylenstxt.jsp?filter=%22brand='Nikkor'%20OR%20brand='Sigma%20AF'%20OR%20brand='Tamron%20AF'%20or%20brand='Tokina%20AF'%20or%20brand='Vivitar%20AF'%22

Check out this website. It may help you decide or not. phranc

phranc,

I have been watching this thread as I see a purchase in the near future. Thanks for the link. I do not know how I missed that one. I thought I had read everything I could. LOL.

Interesting comparison.

Ray

H

Henk

@Bob:
Just out of curiosity, why did you buy the 80-400 AND the 70-200 with the 1.7? isn't the latter the better choice?

Best regards

Henk

Hi Henk

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy the 80-400 AND the 70-200 with the 1.7? isn't the latter the better choice?

Nan & I are a two shooter, two camera (D-70 & D-100) family. We are planning a trip to Africa soon and wanted to have something better than the 70-300ED and 28-200G that we were using as long lenses. If we only got one new lens I knew that I would be the one stuck with the 70-300ED in Africa. :roll:
Seriously, many of the game drives are early or late in the day and the 70-200 2.8 may come in handy then, while the reach of the 80-400 will be better in good light. The VR on both will allow the tripod to be left at home.
Bob

M

mfrank123

i had the luxury of trying both the sigma 80-400 os and nikon 80-400. while the size of the sigma ws a bit bigger and heavier, they both focused at about the same speeds and hunted a bit in low light. the deciding factor for me was that the sigma was definately sharper, yes it was sharper, and i so much wanted to buy the nikon but the pics of sigma sold me on it.

mike

P

Przemek

Sigma 80-400mm

Yes, the Sigma 80-400mm has its own non-HSM motor. It does not use the screwdriver.

Now the big questions is, whether its OS mechanism is AF sensor linked like it is supposingly done on Nikon VR lenses to furter detect motion, and whether the Sigma will be still compatible with future Nikon bodies.

The only thing that keeps me from putting that Sigma on my list of lenses to buy is my worry about compatibility with other bodies. Right now it's not compatible with F5 apparently.

Regards,
Przemek

Latest threads

Top Bottom