Sigma 85/1.4 users' poll: AF accuracy

Your experience with Sigma 85/1.4 AF accuracy:

• It was perfect out of the box (0 AF fine tune required)

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Required 1 - 10 AF fine tune, perfect after that

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Required 11 - 20 AF fine tune, perfect after that

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I had to return the lens (required more than 20 AF fine tune)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had to return more than 1 copy of the lens before I got the good one

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
I'm trying to figure out how likely it is to face problems with the Sigma 85/1.4, mostly in AF accuracy at wide apertures.

So can the owners of this lens please fill in the poll above, just to give a rough statistics of good & bad copies of this lens?

Some time ago, Sigma lenses had a bad reputation for their quality controls, but it seems to have improved significantly in recent years, so I'm trying to figure out how it applies to this model.

Thanks!

Mine required -8 at f1.4. But truth be told my 28 1.8G and 50 1.8G also require a bit of fine tuning at wide apertures.

I'm very happy with mine. It's my choice for headshot type of portraits and overall short tele photography.

I first thought it was the lens, but then I did a few test shots with plenty of light and a test chart and it was spot on... with FX and 1.4 you just have to be extra careful...
If I don`t need 1.4 for fast enough shutter speed I always stop down to 2 or 2.2... gives you a tiny little more room...

I returned one, but I guess that was perfect. My Nikon D90 was misaligned. The second copy needs a -12 or -14. That is not unlike Nikon lenses I own.

Thank you guys, this is very valuable info - both the poll results, and your comments in this thread.

Please keep sharing your experience with this lens.

Thank you guys, this is very valuable info - both the poll results, and your comments in this thread.

Please keep sharing your experience with this lens.

One thing I forgot to mention:

If you need the faster AF speed of the Sigma (compared to the Nikon 1.4G) and can't or don't like to dish out the extra cash I'd get the Sigma hands-down.

DxoMark has compared them and the Sigma is only behind on resolving power... But truth be told I'm finding it more than sharp enough on a D600 with 24MP.

Mine was perfect out of the box, required no AF fine tune. BUT! What i did notice, is that it would lock on very fast, but sometimes it would lock on, not in focus. What I mean is, the lens tries to focus very fast, back and forth itll go, then settle on a focus range, and when I press the shutter, it misses the focus. Only happens maybe 10% of the time, but overall it was a very good lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom