Sigma annouce fix for AF-On button

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by mike mac, Dec 21, 2005.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

2. You betcha. I posted the Japanese version late last night in the other 2 Sigma threads, thanks a bunch Mike for this one in English. When I spoke with Sigma at the crack of dawn, actually before it in our TZ, they asked me to send as much info as I could, and as they said I was the first to call, I'm taking credit for them getting this done so quickly :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

In reality, this DOES show a company that stands by the product, and the second best part is that "free" word in their.

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    So, the interesting question is "how do you perform a firmware upgrade on a lens?" I'm guessing it's not going to be a "user downloaded upgrade" kind of thing. It would be cool if you could walk into any shop, hand them the lens and do the upgrade, then hand it back to you -- in and out in 10 minutes...

...or, do you think this is a more complex issue requiring taking the lens apart to get at the mechanics and chips?

...I've just never thought about what it would take to upgrade a lens...

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    They probably have to replace a PROM in the lens. (PROM - programmable read only memory).
    I'm sure that the firmware in the lenses isn't designed to be user upgradeable by the user or a local shop. They might have built in special commands to program it over the pins in the lens mount, but I doubt it.

Assuming the PROM chip is removeable, and you could get them to send you a chip, you could probably do it yourself. But you would have to open the lens, get it back together, and not care if you void the warranty.
    I'm a geek, so that would be fun to try. But only on someone else's lens.:wink: