1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by socrdude, Aug 8, 2009.

1. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    Anyone have experience with this lense, feedback, sample shots.
    Looking to get this for Soccer game shots and is what I can afford.
    thanks

2. I really enjoyed this lens. It was fast-focusing, and sharp wide open, and very sharp stopped to F4... I currently own the Tamron and while it is optically better, the focus system is a dog, wait that is insulting to dogs... :wink:

See review here for use on Nikon APS-C.

3. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thanks.. did you use any of the Converters referenced on the link you provided.
    My budget is lean so I am leaning towards this piece...thank you

4. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thanks Rich.. I will start looking for a Used on hopefully.
    If anyone hears.. please let me know.
    thanks

5. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Just note that you can only use Sigma TC's. 1.4 the best.

6. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thank you Sir! you have great shots on your page.

7. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    thanks, I get lucky sometimes, lol

Before you get Sigma, see if you can find a good nikon 80-200 af-s too

8. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thanks.. if someone has one to sell.. they can contact me off the forum as well.
    thank you... prefer to stay with the Nikkor to Nikon relationship.. if the pricing works out... I am on a tight budget so no high end product for me. I have my son in Japan looking at the used market as well there.

9. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    I used the Pre-EX version for years on my Konica Minolta 7D's and loved it......now I too am lusting for this hunk o' glass for my D300's..........................

10. pure jazz

pure jazz

Feb 5, 2009
    USA
    Had the tamron, now have the Sigma. As mentioned before the tamron is slightly better picture quality, but the Sigma shines in sports and low light. Since I like night photography (and sports) the Sigma was my choice. For what I paid for it, I could of had a 80-200 nikon used, but chose the 4 year warranty of Sigma over a non warrantied used lens.

The link Rich posted also has tests of the 80-200. If owning a non warrantied lens doesn't bother you, then I would check it out also. It and the Sigma are pretty close in their testing.

11. Banjo

Banjo

Feb 7, 2008
    Greenville, NC
    Agree with all of the favorable comments, but I had to replace two focusing motors, both under warranty. Traded it.

12. kenyee

kenyee

Jan 12, 2008
    Boston, PRofMA
    For those of you that have the Tamron as well, did you ever do 100% crop tests of the center and edges? Just wondering how close they are...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.