Sigma Bigma ????

B

Brew

Hey everyone.

I'm looking for some reach and noticed at B&H they have two Bigma's listed.

Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX APO RF HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D $939.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=192446&is=USA

Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D $999.00 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=380688&is=USA

Does anyone know the major differences between the two other then the APO and which one is the new Model??

I like the looks of the of the 2nd one better (black instead of Gray) and I think that must be the new model correct?

The DG is the newer version, the difference being extra coating on rear element meant to reduce glare from the CCD which is more reflective than film. Whether this is a noticeable or significant improvement is open to debate.

K

Ken-L

Just got my Sigma 50-500 Bigma.....
These are just awful. The compositon is terrible. The focus is so-so. Camera shake is evident. Colors are blah. :cry:

These were all hand-held. Outside shots - it was raining. Inside shot was low light and back-lit. Thought I would give it a worst-case tryout after I took it out of the box. The good news is that I'm happy :p with the results, considering the above....... :x

Red Flower, From my front door, across the street, Hand-Held 50mm (75mm equivalent)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Red Flower, From my front door, across the street, Hand-Held 500mm (750mm equivalent)

Little-Bit, Hand-Held 500mm (750mm equivalent)

B

Brew

Well those aren't too shabby!!!! :p I wonder how it would do with a x2 teleconverter on it :)

Brew said:
Well those aren't too shabby!!!! :p I wonder how it would do with a x2 teleconverter on it :)
It's pretty crazy that Sigma even suggests throwing on a 2X TC on it. Slow as nuts, but wow... talk about reach!

I heard the Sigma/Bigma lens tricks the camera into thinking you are still in F/5.6 so you can still AF. However, what happens when you put on a 2X TC? I mean isn't that like F/13 or something? Would you have to manually focus?

The Bigma actually does appealing sometimes, though I don't think it'd be practical for me to buy. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

ckdamascus said:
It's pretty crazy that Sigma even suggests throwing on a 2X TC on it. Slow as nuts, but wow... talk about reach!

I heard the Sigma/Bigma lens tricks the camera into thinking you are still in F/5.6 so you can still AF. However, what happens when you put on a 2X TC? I mean isn't that like F/13 or something? Would you have to manually focus?
You can not autofocus with a 2xTC.

Bigma with Sigma 2xTC

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom