Sigma Bigma ????

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Brew, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

Hey everyone.

I'm looking for some reach and noticed at B&H they have two Bigma's listed.

Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX APO RF HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D $939.00
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=192446&is=USA

Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D $999.00 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=380688&is=USA

Does anyone know the major differences between the two other then the APO and which one is the new Model??

I like the looks of the of the 2nd one better (black instead of Gray) and I think that must be the new model correct?

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The DG is the newer version, the difference being extra coating on rear element meant to reduce glare from the CCD which is more reflective than film. Whether this is a noticeable or significant improvement is open to debate.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Just got my Sigma 50-500 Bigma.....
    These are just awful. The compositon is terrible. The focus is so-so. Camera shake is evident. Colors are blah. :cry:

These were all hand-held. Outside shots - it was raining. Inside shot was low light and back-lit. Thought I would give it a worst-case tryout after I took it out of the box. The good news is that I'm happy :p with the results, considering the above....... :x

Red Flower, From my front door, across the street, Hand-Held 50mm (75mm equivalent)

[​IMG]

Red Flower, From my front door, across the street, Hand-Held 500mm (750mm equivalent)

[​IMG]

Little-Bit, Hand-Held 500mm (750mm equivalent)

[​IMG]

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ken, is your's the apo?

5. Brew

Brew Guest

Well those aren't too shabby!!!! :p I wonder how it would do with a x2 teleconverter on it :)

6. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    It's pretty crazy that Sigma even suggests throwing on a 2X TC on it. Slow as nuts, but wow... talk about reach!

I heard the Sigma/Bigma lens tricks the camera into thinking you are still in F/5.6 so you can still AF. However, what happens when you put on a 2X TC? I mean isn't that like F/13 or something? Would you have to manually focus?

7. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    The Bigma actually does appealing sometimes, though I don't think it'd be practical for me to buy. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You can not autofocus with a 2xTC.

Bigma with Sigma 2xTC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]