Sigma lens prices going up? Or just Amazon price fluctuations?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jim_C, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm considering expanding my lens collection. On the short list are the Sigma 30 and the Sigma 10-20. (I know they are very different lenses, but that isn't what this post is about :)).

There was recently a thread about a good deal to be had on new Sigma f/1.4 30mm lenses at Amazon.com:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=177172&highlight=sigma+amazon

The thread reported the lens price to be ~$385 US.

Today, they are ~$450 US.

In that same time, the price for the 10-20 appears to have risen at Amazon. The only other place I happen to have checked and remember the prices is B&H. B&H has always been a bit more than Amazon, and the prices seem to have stayed constant.

The only reason I ask is that I remember reading ruminations (perhaps even here) about Sigma raising their US prices.

So, has anyone noticed the prices of Sigma lenses going up? Or is this just usual Amazon price fluctuation?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
  3. Prices for sigma, and photography equipment in general have been going up in the US, it's not a amazon specific thing.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I know the US dollar is weak, but as I mentioned in my original query, prices seem to have held constant at other retailers.

Probably just an Amazon thing (not even a Sigma or import thing)...

5. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - not worthing saving a few bucks for a sketchy retailer or a grey market lens.

I wasn't sure if the Sigma 30mm was going to be next lens purchase, but probably shouldn't have jumped when Amazon had the Gold Box deal. Such is the way things go.

6. Sigma's lenses went up across the whole line in the US. Weak dollar, etc...

7. Sigma prices went up in August. In late July, the 20mm f/1.8 was $399 everywhere. Now it's $459. You're not imagining it.

8. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I realize that manufacturer's must make long(er) term projections when setting prices. What's a little ironic about an August increase, though, is that the dollar appears to be making a comback - it is approaching its 1 year high right now against the euro, but isn't faring quit as well against the yen.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=EUR&amt=1&t=1y

9. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Yes this just recently happened. I was saving up for a sigma 30/1.4 and I was just closing in on the $399 I needed and went to my wishlist on adorama and it was now $489!?!?!?! So I call about the price discrepancy (from the listing and what was showing in the check out cart) and the guy on the phone told me I was seriously mistaken and if I wanted at that moment he would give me one for 450 right then over the phone. I hung up....