Sigma New 50 1.4 on D300 & D3

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I once bought a Sigma 30 1.4 for my Sigma camera. Went to Sigma for FF problem, but I still did not like it. Many Sigma shooters I believe, very often used this lens manually when shooting at wider Apertures. The Sigma cameras do not offer the fine focusing of Nikons(my humble opinion).

I have the Nikon 50 1.4, which I have not used much with my D3. But I do have a lot of confidence in using it wide open AF...of cause judiciously.

After looking at nute's 30 1.4 images on the 35f/2 thread, I am feeling confident that with the D3's AF fine tune(just in case), the Sigma 50 1.4 HSM could be a very nice performer on the D3/ D300 cameras. But one does not know what Nikon has brewing in the 50mm range also.

mike

2. With the excellent reputation of both, the f1.4 and f1.8 AF Nikkors I see no reason to look somewhere else. If I had no other choice than to look for another normal lens then I would go Zeiss.
    Obviously, this is only my opinion.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

3. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I loved my 30mm f/1.4 on the D200, and have the 50mm on order from B&H (not shipping yet...) I'll let y'all know. Never was all that impressed with the build of the Nikkor AF. I do have the AIS which is a fine performer (but not compatible with my bifocals in low light -- which has dampened my enthusiasm for the Zeiss, too).

4. Mike,

Sigma picked the right lens to market to Nikonians. The Nikon 1.4 lacks HSM and is nothing special wide open. Sigma, based on samples I've viewed at 100%, is a very nice lens and beats the Nikon 1.4 wide open. HSM means it can be a useful indoor sports lens for me.

PS - I'm obviously a Sigma fan as you know but it's objectively based on having very nice samples of sigma lenses.

5. My personal opinion is that Nikon will not offer us a 50mm f/1.4 AF-S - they will make a f/1.2 instead.

The Sigma 50mm AF-S will live or die by its optics - if it has any of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4's "special sauce" it could be an amazing lens.

I am not hugely impressed by the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 myself so I strongly suspect both Sigma's announced and Nikon's unannounced lens will be much more compelling - at a price :)

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sure would be nice if sig came out with an FX 30 1.4 ....;-)

7. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Amen on that one!

8. I've heard that the 30mm is OK on the D3 in 10:8 crop mode, minimal vignetting. About 10 megapixel output.

I don't know how the 35/2 holds up on FF, but the Sigma may still be a contender with a bit of cropage?

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

no clue, but the sig is loaded with magic on dx, 4sure!!!
    and another thing worth noting -> it performs lovely on the d40 but it's utterly fantastic on the d200. i'm super high on this lens. it truely deserves CULT status ..lol
    :Love:

10. Im looking forward to test the new Sigma, my dealer said any day now. .-)

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

can't wait:cool:

12. Wow! That would be great! im in!:smile:

the 50 1.4 is a awesome lens, on a D3/700 should be killer.

if you like the 30 1.4 Sigma on a D300, the 50 1.4 on the D3/700 should be about the same.

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    for me the nikon 50 1.4 af-s very fast on the d3 & d300 and it was 289 new and it came w/ a 5yr warranty and it worked great out of the box w/o adjusting anything....no way i could ever pay more for a sigma than a nikon

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    why not ?
    i've only had mine for a week but have been very impressed so far

15. You have a Nikkor 50/1,4 AF-S ?:eek::biggrin:

I have no problem paying more money for a 3rd party lens if it performs accordingly.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

you got a bad copy cause mine rocks at 1.4

17. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    AF-s as in Auto Focuses
    no '-' in AFS

i was the same until new nikon bodies came out....i can't be bothered with sigma's service in re-chipping or whatever it is they do to make their old glass work with new bodies....and resale, that's alot of fun...

18. lol, missed that one. Thanx for the heads up. :biggrin:

19. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    altho i would like a 50 1.4 afs it's not important to me...same w/ the 85 1.4 (I upgraded my 50 & 85 1.8's to 1.4's in the last 2 weeks) because I don't shoot sports with either lens and because the d300 and the even more so the d3 AF very fast with both the 50 & 85 1.4's.....
    I find IQ on both lenses superb, I'd give the 85 a '10' and the 50 a 9.5
    I used to have a sigma 30 1.4 and I'd give it a 9.5 also...the only reason I sold it was because I'd rather shoot a 50mm on the D3 than the 30mm on the d300

20. Well i have to confess that AF-S is not very important for me either as far as af or db goes. But for manual override (not that the Sigma 30mm/1,4 is a great lens to MF, but surely better then Nikons screwdrives)

I personally found the Sigma 30/1,4 EX to be a excellent lens for my purpose, shallow dof shooting at a distance at family gatherings. 99% i shoot manually but for these situations i appreciate af.

50mm gives roughly the same fov on FX as the 30mm gave me on DX. So if the new sigma 50/1,4 performs equally or better as the 30mm did on DX im happy.

personally i never found the Nikkor 50/1,4 to be that good, cheap build and not stellar by any means wide open. Only reason to get it over the 50/1,8 is cause of the slighty smoother bokeh wide open and near.