1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma or Tamron?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by NR53PD, Jul 11, 2008.

1. NR53PD

NR53PD

Feb 27, 2008
    OHIO
    I'm looking for a mid-range lens but unfortunately the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 is out of my price range. I''m looking at the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8, Sigma 28-70mm 2.8 and the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. Does anyone have experience with these lenses and which one would you recommend? Any photographs would be appreciated.

2. I would pick from either the Tamron 28-75/f2.8 or the Sigma 24-60/f2.8 (which you didn't list). The 24-60/f2.8 has had a lot of discussion recently, and while it is no match for the Nikkor at f/2.8, it does give the Nikkor a serious run for the money from f/4 - and it's recently been selling for around $200 new. (Ie 1/8th the price of the Nikkor.) Unfortunately it doesn't have OS, or HSM, but for that price, it's something to be considered.

On the Sigmas - check the filter sizes. The 24-60 uses "normal" 77mm filters, but the 24-70/f2.8 uses weird and expensive 82mm and the 28-70/f2.8 uses 67mm ones.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    if you do get the Tamron get the new version with the built-in motor. the screw-drive version doesn't autofocus very precisely. the optics are amazing though, and 75/2.8 is sharp with creamy bokeh. most zooms are not sharp at the long end but the Tamron is.

4. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I had the Sigma 24-70 for 3 months and did not like how soft it was wide open. Great lens, just don't do too much low light shooting.

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    personally I would look at the Tamron 28-75 or if you don't mind losing a little on the wide end an Nikon 35-70 2.8 They can be had for a little more than the Tamron.

Dan

6. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

The sigma 24-70 2.8 works well, but I would have liked it if they had traded places with the zoom and focus rings. I tend not to use it because it seems like it is in the wrong place.

7. Spydweb

Spydweb Guest

I have the Tamron, 28-75 screw drive, no focus problems ,and tack sharp. This lens is a steal..

8. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    The Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 can be very sharp, this is hand held, straight out of the camera. A little USM and you'd think you'd get poked touching the screen.

ISO: 100
    Exposure: 1/250 sec
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Focal Length: 62mm

DSC_6800.

It's a good lens, I don't find myself using it very much though, it's just not a range I tend to use. I seem to either be wider or much much longer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.