Sigma posts update on HSM issue

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Joseph S. Wisniewski, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Thanks to Julian K on dpReview for pointing this out...

There's a list of affected lenses, and a pointer to finding your local Sigma service center...

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/051221_hsm.htm

To our valued customers,

AF function of our HSM equipped lenses do not operate when "AF operation button" on the back of the body of Nikon "D200" digital SLR camera (recently introduced to the market by Nikon) is used. This problem is caused due to a firmware "bug" of our HSM equipped lenses.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers who own D200 camera and we are committed to making this situation right. In this respect, we will start updating firmware of these lenses free of charge today.

Please also note that if "shutter button" is used for AF operation of HSM equipped lenses, camera and lens combination works without any problem.

This problem occurs with HSM equipped lenses only. Non-HSM models of Sigma lenses function properly with D200 camera.

2. Hey, Joe, I tried the trick of setting AF6 to AF-On only and then using the half-press of the shutter along with AF-On and danged if it doesn't work rather nicely. Points to probably a different issue than I though was going on, but I don't care since Sigma is taking care of it so quickly.