1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma TC for 70-200mm f/2.8 EX D HSM

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Stephen Hopkins, Apr 3, 2007.

1. A few months ago I replaced a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR w/ a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX G HSM, mainly due to financial reasons but partially for weight and size reduction (the Sigma is the same length w/ hood on as the Nikkor VR w/ hood off). I've been shooting w/ the Sigma for a few months now and I've been very happy with the sharpness, color, and especially the handling and balance.

Now I need to get around to replacing my TC(s). I had Kenko DG 2x and 1.4x but neither will work w/ the Sigma. Now I need to pick up one or two that will work with the Sigma. My Sigma is the HSM D version, not the DG and I'm shooting with a D50. I was planning on picking up D model TCs to save some $$ and to match my D lens. Now I'm reading at KEH that the D TCs will work with film only and I'll need DG TCs to work properly with digital.

Is this true? Is anyone using Sigma D TCs w/ digital? Or will I really need DG TCs even though my D (non-DG) works perfectly fine on my D50?

Thanks!

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The DG blurb on a lens or TC only means that it has a different coating on the rear element to reduce diffraction, otherwise it would be exactly the same as a non-DG (or D) lens/TC.

So you can use either D or DG Sigma TCs, and they would work exactly the same, I have yet to meet anyone who've said they've found the DG coating makes any difference.

What you should look out for is DC on Sigma lenses, which means digital crop only.

Confused yet?!

3. I understand that Sigma uses DC to indicate coatings for digital and that DC is the equivalent of DX and for crop-sensors only. That said I've had experience with older TCs not working properly on digital... specificly I had a Kenko 2x MC4 that worked perfectly with my D50 and 80-200mm f/2.8 D two-touch but hunted and wouldn't lock focus when I upgraded to a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR... when I replaced it with Kenko 2x MC4 DG (exact same tc but newer DG version) it worked perfectly on the 70-200mm VR. This is the exact reason I want to make sure the Sigma EX D TCs will work properly on on my D50.

The secondary reason for my concern is that KEH lists the Sigma EX D 2x TC as "FILM ONLY". For whatever reason their Sigma EX D 1.4x TCs are NOT listed as "FILM ONLY". Are there multiple versions of the Sigma EX D teleconverters with some being film only (neede re-chiped to work with digital)? I'm live in Atlanta so I can easily return an item to KEH but I'd like to avoid the hassle if possible.

4. FWIW I have a Sigma TC 1.4x that is the older non-DG and it works fine with my 70-200 2.8 non-DG and D100.

If you're in the Atlanta area, why not just take your camera and lens to KEH and try out the TC? Given what I've read about KEH, they'd probably let you give the combo a try.

5. This makes me more confident in giving the non-DG a try. The one little seed of doubt I still have is that the 1.4x isn't listed as "Film Only" but the 2x is... unfortunately KEH doesn't have a retail showroom, you can only pick up orders there after purchased over the phone or online. I'll probably order the 1.4x and 2x and do pickup this week, then try them when I get there and if need be do a return right there as well.

6. Just give Sigma a call, you can find the tech/service number on their website, they are great folks to speak with. I have had the 120-300 f2.8 HSM and the 500 f4.5 HSM and found that the 120-300 worked fine with the Sigma TC's, but not the 500. Although they both worked fine and dandy with modified Nikon TC-14E, which is your other option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.