1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sigma telezooms

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by aajiiholma, Aug 25, 2008.

1. aajiiholma

aajiiholma Guest

Hi, I'm thinking of getting either the 80-400 OS or the new 120-400 OS,HSM.

Any idea whoch way to go. They're roughly priced the same. And Nikon hasn't given us a new 80-400 with AFS.

2. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    The 80-400OS has been discontinued by Sigma. If you can get a used copy go for it. I have it and it's a great lens. I also have the 150-500OS which is an even better lens. For those of us without deep Nikon pockets these zooms are more than adequate

3. I'm pretty interested in the 120-400mm OS... but I've always liked the size/weight/balance of the older 135-400... for the price used it's looking like a good alternative to TCs with my 70-200mm f/2.8 EX. Even without OS and/or HSM, I need something longer than 200mm but honestly can't even justify the price of something like a 70-300mm VR. I once had the 170-500mm and, while not razor sharp, it was definitely acceptable on a crop body. I'm guessing the 135-400mm would be as good or better, esepcially the newer DG version. I'm hoping to snag one for around $275 used and wait/watch for the 120-400mm OS prices to fall (as well as used prices of the 80-400mm OS).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.